Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wolfie from Ireland How hiyis?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfie

Wolfie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 21 May 2005 - 06:35 AM

Hi there,

This is Wolfie, French expatriate to Ireland.

I have been stuck to my laptop for a week:
- upgrade from XP home to XP pro: Nay! Go again...
- Clean install of XP pro: yep somewhat ok except pbs with internet.
- Reinstall Norton from website: nope! no Internet access unless Norton is deactivated + XP firewall. ok then.
- tried to download Norton again which was on my previous O/S: "your download is important to us, please spit ou more money to get it again with no reassurance that the new one will work". No way Jose!
- Bought and installed NIS 2005: a chance to reinstall should pbs occure: more errors, no access to the internet unless Norton is deactivated + XP firewall. ok then.
- Uninstall, re-install. Nope. Uninstall, re-install. Nope again :thumbsup:
- called Symantec helpline: :flowers:
- After 8 hours of opening "solution" links and sub-links to remove any trace of Norton on laptop/registry ( Dial-up connection, yipeeee!), I finally got a chance to do a clean install again: HEEEEEeeee! (the scream was heard all over Ireland), the bleeping NIS still produced errors.
- I uninstall once and for all: total bill= 150.
- downloaded AVG 7.0 trial version ( so gooood to try before you buy!)
- super slow internet:Page cannot display 8 times out of 10: went onto Bleepingcomputer.com to see what I should use next: a rope around my neck or a blade to my veins, which ever is fastest.
-Saved! downloaded HijackThis and ran it
- No idea what I should do now with the system scan results ( should I zap the results lines and which one?) but now I'm a member I'm going to post the log somewhere when I find out where.

You will see a lot of me on these forums: get ready! :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2005 - 06:41 AM

Hello Wolfie from Ireland this is Leurgy from Canada. Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

See How to submit a Hijackthis Log for instructions on what to do next.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 21 May 2005 - 01:21 PM

:thumbsup: Wolfie. I am Pandy from NY. :flowers: to BleepingComputer. I hope you find this forum helpful and entertaining. I'm wishing you good luck with your HijackThis Log.. but I know you are in good hands. Sorry you had trouble with the Norton. :trumpet: I have been there so I know about that. lol We are always glad to have new members post and maybe learn what they know. The more the merrier.

:inlove:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2005 - 02:05 PM

Posting your log to the HijackThis! forum will allow our volunteer team of experienced experts to help you. By the way AVG7 has a free version, as well, that is used by many on these boards.
Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 04:27 PM

:thumbsup: to BC! Wolfie.
After you make a post in the HJT forums, and someone responds, you'll have your computer back to brand new. :flowers:

Good Luck,
yanowhiz

#6 Wolfie

Wolfie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:12 PM

A big Thank you everyone for your warm welcome :thumbsup:

I have found where to post my hijack-this log and one of the expert has told me that all is fine which helps me refine my search to salvation!!!

Hem...I have bought a new phone cable as well which has considerably helped my connections: instead of losing it 8 times out of 10, I only lose it 5 out of 10 now.

I have tried another phone line: same thing but, I'm getting closer, I can feel it!! Thanks to you for giving me hope :flowers:

Hugs all around,

Wolfie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users