This is Wolfie, French expatriate to Ireland.
I have been stuck to my laptop for a week:
- upgrade from XP home to XP pro: Nay! Go again...
- Clean install of XP pro: yep somewhat ok except pbs with internet.
- Reinstall Norton from website: nope! no Internet access unless Norton is deactivated + XP firewall. ok then.
- tried to download Norton again which was on my previous O/S: "your download is important to us, please spit ou more money to get it again with no reassurance that the new one will work". No way Jose!
- Bought and installed NIS 2005: a chance to reinstall should pbs occure: more errors, no access to the internet unless Norton is deactivated + XP firewall. ok then.
- Uninstall, re-install. Nope. Uninstall, re-install. Nope again
- called Symantec helpline:
- After 8 hours of opening "solution" links and sub-links to remove any trace of Norton on laptop/registry ( Dial-up connection, yipeeee!), I finally got a chance to do a clean install again: HEEEEEeeee! (the scream was heard all over Ireland), the bleeping NIS still produced errors.
- I uninstall once and for all: total bill= €150.
- downloaded AVG 7.0 trial version ( so gooood to try before you buy!)
- super slow internet:Page cannot display 8 times out of 10: went onto Bleepingcomputer.com to see what I should use next: a rope around my neck or a blade to my veins, which ever is fastest.
-Saved! downloaded HijackThis and ran it
- No idea what I should do now with the system scan results ( should I zap the results lines and which one?) but now I'm a member I'm going to post the log somewhere when I find out where.
You will see a lot of me on these forums: get ready!