Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Wolfie from Ireland How hiyis?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 21 May 2005 - 06:35 AM

Hi there,

This is Wolfie, French expatriate to Ireland.

I have been stuck to my laptop for a week:
- upgrade from XP home to XP pro: Nay! Go again...
- Clean install of XP pro: yep somewhat ok except pbs with internet.
- Reinstall Norton from website: nope! no Internet access unless Norton is deactivated + XP firewall. ok then.
- tried to download Norton again which was on my previous O/S: "your download is important to us, please spit ou more money to get it again with no reassurance that the new one will work". No way Jose!
- Bought and installed NIS 2005: a chance to reinstall should pbs occure: more errors, no access to the internet unless Norton is deactivated + XP firewall. ok then.
- Uninstall, re-install. Nope. Uninstall, re-install. Nope again :thumbsup:
- called Symantec helpline: :flowers:
- After 8 hours of opening "solution" links and sub-links to remove any trace of Norton on laptop/registry ( Dial-up connection, yipeeee!), I finally got a chance to do a clean install again: HEEEEEeeee! (the scream was heard all over Ireland), the bleeping NIS still produced errors.
- I uninstall once and for all: total bill= 150.
- downloaded AVG 7.0 trial version ( so gooood to try before you buy!)
- super slow internet:Page cannot display 8 times out of 10: went onto Bleepingcomputer.com to see what I should use next: a rope around my neck or a blade to my veins, which ever is fastest.
-Saved! downloaded HijackThis and ran it
- No idea what I should do now with the system scan results ( should I zap the results lines and which one?) but now I'm a member I'm going to post the log somewhere when I find out where.

You will see a lot of me on these forums: get ready! :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 06:41 AM

Hello Wolfie from Ireland this is Leurgy from Canada. Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

See How to submit a Hijackthis Log for instructions on what to do next.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Pandy

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 21 May 2005 - 01:21 PM

:thumbsup: Wolfie. I am Pandy from NY. :flowers: to BleepingComputer. I hope you find this forum helpful and entertaining. I'm wishing you good luck with your HijackThis Log.. but I know you are in good hands. Sorry you had trouble with the Norton. :trumpet: I have been there so I know about that. lol We are always glad to have new members post and maybe learn what they know. The more the merrier.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Follow us on Twitter

#4 jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 02:05 PM

Posting your log to the HijackThis! forum will allow our volunteer team of experienced experts to help you. By the way AVG7 has a free version, as well, that is used by many on these boards.
Welcome to BC!
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 04:27 PM

:thumbsup: to BC! Wolfie.
After you make a post in the HJT forums, and someone responds, you'll have your computer back to brand new. :flowers:

Good Luck,

#6 Wolfie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:12 PM

A big Thank you everyone for your warm welcome :thumbsup:

I have found where to post my hijack-this log and one of the expert has told me that all is fine which helps me refine my search to salvation!!!

Hem...I have bought a new phone cable as well which has considerably helped my connections: instead of losing it 8 times out of 10, I only lose it 5 out of 10 now.

I have tried another phone line: same thing but, I'm getting closer, I can feel it!! Thanks to you for giving me hope :flowers:

Hugs all around,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users