Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What to do if a questionable pop up window appears?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 taskinillusion

taskinillusion

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:58 PM

I think the title says it all :flowers:

What to do if a questionable pop up window appears?

For example, if I'm doing some research on Google and I start clicking on many sites. Some of them will obviously be safe, but I might go on a not-so-great site and get a pop up window telling me to download an antispyware program (like Antivirus 2009 :thumbsup: ). I've read somewhere that even if I click on the "X" to close the window, it might be too late. Would "Ctrl+Alt+Delete" be a good idea?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,488 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:25 PM

That is the better option. Ctrl Alt Del. the X is probably too late. I would still scan my PC.

Edited by boopme, 07 January 2009 - 10:28 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:16 AM

I suspect that the X in the upper right corner of a window can be spoofed by the bad guys. In other words, they can make that X do anything that they want.

I advise my customers (and my wife), to close the offending application by right clicking on it in the Task Bar and selecting "Close". Another option is to press Alt and F4 at the same time when the offending window is in the foreground.

Sometimes they won't close this way, and you'll have to close more things in your Task Bar. Start with your web brower and close everything. If that still doesn't do it, then you'll have to go to the Processes tab of Task Manager and start ending processes there.

If this is too much, then just shut the computer down using the Start...Shutdown option (not Restart).
Remove the power cord (this is likely paranoia speaking) for a couple of minutes.
Then reboot, ensure your anti-virus definitions are up to date, and then perform a full system scan.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 taskinillusion

taskinillusion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:49 PM

Thank you very much for your advice (and for the fast replies) :thumbsup:

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,488 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:07 PM

You are welcome from all of us.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users