Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstall Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cash4alex

cash4alex

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 21 May 2005 - 06:02 AM

I have a problem: I installed an illicit version of Windows XP and now want to remove it as I need the CD-ROM drive repairing, however I cannot see how to remove Windows without the CD-ROM drive or any other OSs installed. How can I remove Windows XP without the aid of any enternal drives, just an internet connection. I do not necessarily want to install another OS, just completely clear the hard drive. How can I reformat the hard drive? My efforts at the moment are foiled as trying to get the OS to remove itself is like trying to get a screwdriver to dismantle itself.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2005 - 06:36 AM

Hi cash4alex and welcome to BC.

Do you have a floppy drive? If you do, go to www.bootdisk.com and download a Windows 98 bootdisk. When you run that file you downloaded, it will create a bootable floppy so you need one in the floppy drive. Restart the computer, go into the Bios (press Del to enter setup) and set the A:\ drive as the first boot device. Boot up with the floppy and at A:\> type in "Format C: /u" without the quotation marks. That will leave you with a clean hard drive.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 diggerdan

diggerdan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2005 - 05:51 AM

If you have a floppy drive installed simply start computer with a W98 startup disk (available at Bootdisk.com) and eliminate non dos partition,make new partition and reformat. Good Luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users