Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Squeeky sound problem

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 qwertyman

qwertyman

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 21 May 2005 - 03:45 AM

I just recently a couple of months ago bought a new computer and about 2 weeks ago I have started to have problems with a beeping or maybe even a squeeky high pitched sound coming from the computer. The sound comes when I start playing games such as Battlefield 1942, Age of Empires 2, and WarCraft 3. It starts during high action scenes with lots of shooting or fighting and with B1942 the game starts to be choppy and slow. Also the red led light at front of computer is flashing too.
Here are my specs.

Intel Pentium 4 3Ghz
512MB DDR Ram
WinXP Proffesional with SP2
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE 256 MB

There is no reason why the game should be choppy as this should be more than enough power. Also I have updated the Drivers and looked for any loose connections but nothing seems to work. I know for sure it has nothing to do with the monitor, speakers, or CD drive, as I have already disconnected them and the sound is still there. Also I am not running too many programs as during the game in task manager CPU usage is nowhere near 100%.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2005 - 07:33 AM

Did this occur before you loaded SP2?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...ct=windowsxpsp2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842242/

Edited by Enthusiast, 21 May 2005 - 07:39 AM.

#3 qwertyman

qwertyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2005 - 09:50 PM

This as I remember it did not occur before I installed SP2. I did try system restore but that did not help, I don't know even if I could fix it that way.

#4 qwertyman

qwertyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2005 - 10:12 PM

Also one other thing. I reviewed the websites that you told me but the programs that microsoft lists as having problems with SP2, I don't have any of them, and I don't even use their firewall, I have a router along with ZoneAlarm 5.5.

Even though I don't remember this sound before I installed SP2 the games still ran properly for a time even with SP2, but then it suddenly showed up.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 22 May 2005 - 12:06 AM

The beeping may be the motherboard warning you the processor is getting hot.
Download the system analysis program 'Everest' so you can get detailed information about your system:
Everest download
Selecting Computer>Sensor will show you temperatures inside your PC and fan speeds. Depending on your CPU it may need additional cooling or it may be that the warning temps are set too low in the BIOS. Check your motherboard manual for warning temperature settings. Since you are seeing real performance change at the same time I would think it is a real overheating problem.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 qwertyman

qwertyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 04:56 AM

I dowloaded the Everest programs and the normal running temperature for the CPU is about 50C but when I play the game it can get up to 75C which seems really high to me and probably is causing the problems. Can you recommend any fans that would be more appropriate and how can I check what the warning temperature is in BIOS?
Thanks Rimmer for the help, it was right on.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 07:49 AM

My system is also a P4 3.0GHz and when I run games it gets to about 65C from a normal ~50C. This is in a QBIC mini system so its really cramped.
If your system is a tower open it up and have a look at the layout - I've seen systems where the arrangement of PSU and AGP with DVD or CDROM cables makes a nice 'box' with virtually no airflow, where the CPU cooks in its own heat. The only thing you can do there is change the case - the bigger the better. If the layout looks OK think about removing the CPU heatsink/fan and re-fitting it with some heat transfer compound underneath - it may be the heatsink is not making proper contact with the CPU. (Warning - removal of CPU heatsink is not for the fainthearted)
If the case is OK and the heatsink was in good contact then you should look at a better cooler - I have very little knowledge of custom coolers but I've heard Thermaltake get a good rap. Talk to your PC store.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 qwertyman

qwertyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2005 - 02:58 PM

I went to a PC store and got another fan added to my computer and added thermal paste too so now the temperature is about 65-70 when I play games. The problem is still here, it still continues to beep or make that sort of sound when I play any game. And it still slows the game down.

Now I am afraid that the real problem could be the hard drive. I don't know if it could also be my graphics card or even the processor but I think most likely its the hard drive. I say this because I ran a program that searches the hard drive for lost files and it does an intensive scan and during this time it also beeps. This scan does not require much from the graphics card or from the processor so the only thing thats left is the hard drive.

Do you think I should start backing up my files or even clone it with Norton Ghost to another hard drive?

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2005 - 08:18 PM

I ran a program that searches the hard drive for lost files and it does an intensive scan and during this time it also beeps.

What was the program? I've never heard of system beeps because of hard drive activity but that doesn't mean they don't happen. Have you got SMART enabled in the BIOS?

Do you think I should start backing up my files

YES - It's ALWAYS a good idea to back up your files.

or even clone it with Norton Ghost to another hard drive?

If you have another hard drive available that won't hurt. Whether you go and buy a new hard drive is up to you of course. I'd like more diagnostic info before I point the finger at your hard drive.

Post the make, capacity and model number of your hard drive. There may be a good diagnostic available.

#10 chicha1997

chicha1997

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:17 PM

I just recently a couple of months ago bought a new computer and about 2 weeks ago I have started to have problems with a beeping or maybe even a squeeky high pitched sound coming from the computer. The sound comes when I start playing games such as Battlefield 1942, Age of Empires 2, and WarCraft 3. It starts during high action scenes with lots of shooting or fighting and with B1942 the game starts to be choppy and slow. Also the red led light at front of computer is flashing too.
Here are my specs.

Intel Pentium 4 3Ghz
512MB DDR Ram
WinXP Proffesional with SP2
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE 256 MB

There is no reason why the game should be choppy as this should be more than enough power. Also I have updated the Drivers and looked for any loose connections but nothing seems to work. I know for sure it has nothing to do with the monitor, speakers, or CD drive, as I have already disconnected them and the sound is still there. Also I am not running too many programs as during the game in task manager CPU usage is nowhere near 100%.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I think you should first check the blowers ,one way is to use a screw driver lake a stethoscope and you can feel the vibration and here too JL

#11 qwertyman

qwertyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2005 - 12:23 AM

Here is all the info on the hard disk as well as all the SMART information and you can see it is enabled in BIOS. And by the way the program that I was running was "Undelete" where I run an advanced scan which scanned the hard drive for about 30 min. and during which I heard the beeping sounds like I do while playing games. Thanks for all the help so far.

--------[ ATA ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ SAMSUNG SP1203N (S00QJ10XC09613) ]

ATA Device Properties:
Model ID SAMSUNG SP1203N
Serial Number S00QJ10XC09613
Revision TL100-30
Parameters 232632 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sectors per track, 554 bytes per sector
LBA Sectors 234493056
Buffer 2 MB (Dual Ported, Read Ahead)
Multiple Sectors 16
ECC Bytes 4
Max. PIO Transfer Mode PIO 4
Max. UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
Active UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
Unformatted Capacity 123891 MB

ATA Device Features:
SMART Supported
Security Mode Supported
Power Management Supported
Advanced Power Management Not Supported
Write Cache Supported
Host Protected Area Supported
Power-Up In Standby Not Supported
Automatic Acoustic Management Supported
48-bit LBA Supported
Device Configuration Overlay Supported

ATA Device Physical Info:
Manufacturer Samsung
Hard Disk Family SpinPoint P80
Form Factor 3.5"
Formatted Capacity 120 GB
Disks 2
Recording Surfaces 3
Physical Dimensions 146.05 x 101.6 x 25.4 mm
Max. Weight 635 g
Average Rotational Latency 4.17 ms
Rotational Speed 7200 RPM
Max. Internal Data Rate 741 Mbit/s
Average Seek 8.9 ms
Track-To-Track Seek 0.8 ms
Full Seek 18 ms
Interface Ultra-ATA/133
Buffer-to-Host Data Rate 133 MB/s
Buffer Size 2 MB
Spin-Up Time 7 sec

ATA Device Manufacturer:
Company Name Samsung
Product Information http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/index.htm

--------[ SMART ]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ SAMSUNG SP1203N (S00QJ10XC09613) ]

01 Raw Read Error Rate 51 100 100 0 OK: Value is normal
03 Spin Up Time 25 100 100 5760 OK: Value is normal
04 Start/Stop Count 0 100 100 430 OK: Always passing
05 Reallocated Sector Count 11 100 100 0 OK: Value is normal
07 Seek Error Rate 51 100 100 0 OK: Value is normal
08 Seek Time Performance 15 100 100 0 OK: Value is normal
09 Power-On Time Count 0 100 100 161162 OK: Always passing
0A Spin Retry Count 51 100 100 0 OK: Value is normal
0B Calibration Retry Count 0 100 100 0 OK: Always passing
0C Power Cycle Count 0 100 100 215 OK: Always passing
C2 Temperature 0 121 109 39 OK: Always passing
C3 Hardware ECC Recovered 0 100 100 522743 OK: Always passing
C4 Reallocation Event Count 0 100 100 0 OK: Always passing
C5 Current Pending Sector Count 0 100 100 0 OK: Always passing
C6 Off-Line Uncorrectable Sector Count 0 100 100 0 OK: Always passing
C7 Ultra ATA CRC Error Rate 0 200 200 3 OK: Always passing
C8 Write Error Rate 51 100 100 0 OK: Value is normal
C9 <vendor-specific> 51 100 100 0 OK: Value is normal

#12 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2005 - 02:50 AM

I haven't found a Samsung diagnostic yet. But your SMART results look fine.

Is that beeping with the Undelete prog repeatable? If so run Undelete and use Ctl/Alt/Del to open the task manager. Switch to the Performance tab and monitor the CPU usage when the beeping occurs. Even though you're running a disk test significant CPU activity may well be involved and the beeps may still point there.

Run Scandisk in Safe Mode and check the error results there.

Update - I found some software (finally) with instructions how to run it, from Samsung here: http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDr...ities/hutil.htm

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2005 - 06:26 AM

Somewhere in the Everest Report it should say, "Smart Drive- healthy". or not and if not it should give some kind of detail for what that means.

#14 qwertyman

qwertyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 03:26 AM

Ok, I have some very interesting news.

I restarted the computer in safe mode in order to run scandisk as recommended by Rimmer but then the sounds (which I correct myself sounds more like screeching rather than beeping, a kind of high pithed noise) started to occur.

They started as soon as I logged in in safe mode and continued almost uniteruptably until it booted up in normal mode, it even continued during the restart and all the way until my desktop was loaded. Once it loaded and I opened Internet Explorer to type this the sound stopped. The scandisk I ran found nothing while it was in safe mode. Now this is weird to me because the sound usually only happens while I play intesive games or run something that requires lots of CPU activity. As safe mode only runs basic files and drivers it seems so strange that it would increase the sound which ran almost continuesly.

So now I am totaly lost.

I haven't tried that diagnostic yet from Samsung yet.
And also in the Everest Report it tells me that the "Smart Drive- OK" and reports no problems.

#15 qwertyman

qwertyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2005 - 05:18 AM

Ok, I ran the Samsung test on the hard drive and everything passed. All tests that I ran on the hard drive found no problems. Although while I was running the disk check it did squeek a lot. So I guess it squeeks not only when I run games but also when I am in DOS for a while. So now the problem could be the actaul processor or motherboard, I don't know if it is a compatability problem or an actual hardware problem.

If all you guys have any other suggestions please help. Thank you in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users