Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rayal49

Rayal49

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:39 PM

Hi,
I have just had an old computer running on xp 2002 connected up for internet access.It is using IE6. I can access Google/Yahoo home pages but whatever web site I try to access I get the message" unable to display web site,check internet options to detect settings". I do this but result is the same(sometimes all I get is a white page,with no text at all).
I have tried Microsoft update but this also is blocked, Any ideas on a resolution ?Maybe I should say the old computer has never been connected to internet previously.
Thanks Lecy

Rayal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:19 AM

When you say you can access the Google/Yahoo home pages, does clicking around in there / searching actually bring up new pages (eg. search for bleepingcomputer on google, do the search results appear)?

How are you trying to connect this computer (ie. wired or wireless)?

Are you connecting this to a router, or another modem, or...?

And lastly, make sure there are no conflicts with the ethernet card / wireless card in device manager.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users