Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

COMPUTER WON'T START UP! HELP PLEASE!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 maka909

maka909

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:06 PM

Hi, I have a Compaq Pressario desktop computer
Window Xp Pro
Intel Pentium 4,
512Mb
2.55ghz 120GB

I kept getting pop up windows about virus cleaning programs (knowing they were fake because they didn't look right) i tried to close them, but they kept popping back up.

I shut down my computer and put it in safe mode with networking. Did a virus scan with Malwarebytes anti malware, did a quick scan and found a few things. it cleaned it i rebooted the computer and then used CCleaner and the registry fixer in CCleaner. it was mostly unused file extentions. so i cleaned it all and it seemed to be fine. when i tried to reboot and start the computer it started but the password box wouldn't go away. There was never a password set. Just had to press OK, and it would start as it usually does. Now after you press OK, it looks like it will load up, then the box pops up again, i want to know what the problem is and how i fix it ASAP. thanks.

Edited by Pandy, 07 January 2009 - 08:04 PM.
Moved From Win XP Home and Pro Pandy~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 maka909

maka909
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:48 PM

anyone?

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:55 AM

and then used CCleaner and the registry fixer in CCleaner. it was mostly unused file extentions. so i cleaned it all and it seemed to be fine.

Oops. This may be the cause of your password box problems. Mucking about with the registry, particularly if you don't know what you're doing, can create severe problems - so severe one might make it impossible to boot up.

Do you remember just when you did the "registry fixing"? Can you get into safe mode without this problem? If so, use System Restore choosing a date and time just prior to your using CCleaner and see if that helps.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 maka909

maka909
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:47 AM

Last time i check i was able to get into safe mode after the "registry fixing" but after i sht down and rebooted and tried it in reg mode it wouldn't get past the password part. I tried it in safe mode with networking and the same thing was happening.

#5 maka909

maka909
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:12 PM

????

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:42 PM

then used CCleaner and the registry fixer in CCleaner.

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications. There are a number of them available and some are more safe than others. Keep in mind that no two registry cleaners work entirely the way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad" entry. One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause a problem when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system unbootable.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results". Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

If you cannot bootup in normal or safe mode, then your options are limited. You may be able to use a Windows XP bootable Floppy Disk to boot from a diskette instead of your hard drive. If your hard drive's boot sector or Windows' basic boot files have been corrupted, this disk will circumvent the problem and boot you into Windows. If you don't have an emergency boot floppy, you may be able to use one created on another PC running Windows XP but there's no guarantee that it will boot your machine.

Resolving Boot Issues with a Boot Floppy Disk.
How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks and select the download that's appropriate for your Operating System. The Setup boot disks are available so that you can run the Setup program on computers that cannot use a bootable CD-ROM.

Another option is to create a Bootable CD:
Bootable CD FAQs
How To Boot your Computer from a Bootable CD or DVD
How to Create a Bootable Windows XP Setup Disk on a Preinstalled/Preloaded Windows System
Creating A Windows XP Recovery Console CD Image

You can try doing a "Repair Install with Recovery Console". The Recovery Console is a Windows utility that provides a DOS-like command line from which you can run some repair programs. If you have a Microsoft Windows CD-ROM, you can get to the Recovery Console by booting from that CD and pressing any key when you told to 'Press any key to boot from CD'. At the 'Welcome to Setup' screen, press r for Repair.If you don't have your XP CD you can download an ISO of the Recovery Console files:
Recovery Console ISO file
NTFS4FreeDos ISO
XP Recovery Console zip file

Burn it as an image to a disk to get a bootable CD which will startup the Recovery Console for troubleshooting and fixing purposes. This is especially useful for those with OEM systems with factory restore partitions or disks but no original installation CD. If you are not sure how to burn an image, please read How to write a CD/DVD image or ISO.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users