Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it safe to trust the loopback zone (127.0.0.1)?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:42 PM

Hello everyone.

My firewall seems to be blocking my printer's drivers so I am having difficulties with printing. The drivers need the Loopback Zone (127.0.0.1) in order to function. Is it safe to trust the zone?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:56 PM

Yes. That's the IP for your own computer. ~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:04 PM

Thanks, Orange Blossom. I'll try to print another page to see if it would work.

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:39 PM

As OrangeBlossom said - yes, of course trust it.
And you may have to permit Internet Explorer, WindowsMedia Player and few others to allow the localHost access, since they will not work, or be very slow if loopback is not permitted.
BUT
If your firewall or antivirus uses a local proxy through some port of the localHost, make sure you only permit the applications you trust to go through the proxy port so as not to create a tunnel for stuff you'd rather not get out to the internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users