Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot access Youtube, Wikipedia, etc

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wundt

Wundt

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:30 PM

I had a virus that would redirect me when I was on Youtube, Wikipedia, Google, etc. Basically, the virus would highjack my browser when I clicked on certain links and send me to their site, or would insert their site as the first returned hits when I did Google or Yahoo searches.

I cleaned off the virus, but some remnant of the virus remains. I am no longer redirected, but when I try to access youtube, wikipedia, and some other sites, I get a "cannot connect" error in my browser.

I have seen several forums discuss this problem, but none have given a solution that works for me. One site said look for usual DLL in the Startup using msconfig, but I don't see any.

Does anyone know of a solution?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:56 PM

I'd first suggest that you try the links here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/usas...?showentry=1252
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Wundt

Wundt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:08 AM

The problem isn't the virus, but what the virus has done to my system. I found and removed it, but it changed some setting or left some remnant that is stopping my access to certain sites.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:34 AM

If the IE settings are the only thing affected...it would seem possible that IE is somehow damaged. Why not try a repair of IE?

You might also try running sfc /scannow, which replaces any missing or damaged system files. I don't know but it seems likely that other files might have been impacted by your malware problems.

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318378

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Louis

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:04 PM

I cleaned off the virus, but some remnant of the virus remains.

So tell me, what remnant of the virus remains?
Is is infectious? How certain are you that there isn't any virus left on your system.

FWIW - repairing a system without regard to malware may indeed fix the problem.
It does this by causing the malware to morph or mutate into a new form - and this is harder to detect/repair than the original infection.

Your computer, your choice.

Edited by usasma, 09 January 2009 - 07:04 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:43 PM

I cleaned off the virus, but some remnant of the virus remains.

Does anyone know of a solution?

Yes, remove/clean any and all traces of malware whatsoever. This way you are able to resolve your issue.

As usasma has said, Your machine, your choice.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 Wundt

Wundt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:10 PM

The effect is both in IE and Firefox.

I have done multiple scans, with multiple applications, and the infection is gone. However, part of the impact of the Malware was to redirect me when I visited certain sites, and whatever the program did to my settings to allow the redirect behavior remains.

If you do a google search on this issue, you will see I am not alone, and it is actually a common problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users