Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista desktop infected with Trojan:Win32/AgentBypass.gen!K

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Kid_B

Kid_B

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:05 PM

Hello,

I have a very similar problem to another current post in this forum by christos4487. However I have a different OS, so I thought I should start a new thread...

My OS is Vista Ultimate, and my Windows Defender also picks up that I have a Trojan:Win32/AgentBypass.gen!K trojan, which also allows me to remove it. However it also reappears whenever I restart Windows, and the warning message returns. This first happened yesterday evening, and my computer has also shown no other symptoms so far.

I have updated Windows Defender to the latest definition files, and run both a quick and a full scan after removal of the trojan (but before a reboot), and these scans both show up negative.

I also have AVG Free 8, also up to date, and both a quick and a full scan with this after removal (but before a reboot) also show up negative.

I am currently running a full Windows Live OneCare scan after a reboot but before removing the trojan to see if this helps but it is not yet finished. Is not removing the trojan whilst performing a scan (and using my computer as normal) wise?

If anyone could possibly please help me to remove this trojan, I would be very grateful indeed.

Also, is it possible to tell if (and how much) damage has been done by the trojan? Should I lock-down my PC and use it as little as possible, or is it okay to carry on using it as normal?

Thank you very much for your help,
Kid_B

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 68,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:43 PM

Hello and welcme,please run this MBAM scan. Perhaps disable the One Care and Spybot if installed first.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Kid_B

Kid_B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:05 PM

Dear boopme,

Thank you very much for your fast reply and help. Please find below the log from my MBAM scan, which did not seem to find any threats. (I rebooted and removed the trojan using Windows Defender before running the scan, as well as disabling AVG and the OneCare scan.)

Does this mean I am OK, or that the trojan is crafty?

Many thanks for your help,
Kid_B

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.32
Database version: 1629
Windows 6.0.6000

07/01/2009 22:57:58
mbam-log-2009-01-07 (22-57-58).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 57203
Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 59 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 68,274 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:13 PM

Well I actually want to do 2 more and be sure..Since no one tool really does it all.

Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Kid_B

Kid_B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:20 PM

Dear boopme,

Thank you very much again for your help, it is much appreciated. Please find below the log from my SUPERAntiSpyware scan, which did not seem to find any threats, only cookies (I did not post all these cookies however as there are lots of them -- or would you like to see them too?)

This scan seems negative too! Is there still one more to do then?

Kid_B

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 01/09/2009 at 04:02 AM

Application Version : 4.24.1004

Core Rules Database Version : 3701
Trace Rules Database Version: 1677

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 02:12:20

Memory items scanned : 257
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 8696
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 205061
File threats detected : 197

Adware.Tracking Cookie
[Lots of cookies listed...]

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 68,274 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:36 PM

You look OK. If there are no more symptoms on that end then...
Now you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok"
  • Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Vista Users can refer to these links: Create a New Restore Point and Disk Cleanup.

#7 Kid_B

Kid_B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:45 PM

Dear boopme,

Many thanks again for your help with this. I have followed the above instructions to create a restore point and then deleted all of the old ones. However the instructions seem to imply that this should be done after removing the virus, but Windows Defender still picks up Trojan:Win32/AgentBypass.gen!K every time I load up Windows. Does this not mean that my computer is still infected?

Thank you very much,
Kid_B

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 68,274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:26 PM

Hello you would be correct in it is best after all is removed. So can you tell me Where it says the Trojan is located?

Edited by boopme, 15 January 2009 - 01:29 PM.

#9 Kid_B

Kid_B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:44 PM

Dear boopme,

Windows Defender doesn't seem to say much about where the Trojan is located. It just gives the message:

---
Category:
Trojan

Description:
This program is dangerous and exploits the computer on which it is run.

Advice:
Remove this software immediately.

Resources:
process:
pid:416

View more information about this item online
---

However the "pid" keeps changing, and seems different every time I load up Windows. Is there elsewhere I should look to find out where the Trojan is located?

You also mentioned that there were two more scans you wanted me to do, but only gave me one (SUPERAntiSpyware ). Did you decide that the other one was not necessary?

Thank you,
Kid_B

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 68,274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:16 PM

Well I did want you to run the ATF Cleaner. So here's what we do we run that and get a second opinion on those keys. If it stll exists we'll go to HJT.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Now do this Online scann.
Please do an online scan with Kaspersky WebScanner

Click on Kaspersky Online Scanner

You will be prompted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.
  • The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files:
  • Once the files have been downloaded click on NEXT
  • Now click on Scan Settings
  • In the scan settings make that the following are selected:
    • Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
    Extended (if available otherwise Standard)
    • Scan Options:
    Scan Archives
    Scan Mail Bases
  • Click OK
  • Now under select a target to scan:Select My Computer
  • This will program will start and scan your system.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
  • Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
    • Now click on the Save as Text button:
  • Save the file to your desktop.
  • Copy and paste that information in your next post.

#11 Kid_B

Kid_B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:30 PM

Dear boopme,

Please find below my Kaspersky scan which I ran on Friday. This was done before removing the virus with Windows Defender (which itself is still warning me of the trojan each time I boot up, and which I get it to remove each time). Do any of these correspond with the one it picks up?

Many thanks again for your help with this.
Patrick.

----

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KASPERSKY ONLINE SCANNER 7 REPORT
Sunday, January 18, 2009
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition, 32-bit (build 6000)
Kaspersky Online Scanner 7 version: 7.0.25.0
Program database last update: Friday, January 16, 2009 11:13:24
Records in database: 1630661
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan settings:
Scan using the following database: extended
Scan archives: yes
Scan mail databases: yes

Scan area - My Computer:
A:\
C:\
D:\
E:\
F:\
G:\

Scan statistics:
Files scanned: 214024
Threat name: 2
Infected objects: 1
Suspicious objects: 2
Duration of the scan: 04:34:42

File name / Threat name / Threats count
C:\Users\Patrick\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\xndnwi0r.Patrick\Mail\Local Folders\Computing.sbd\Theory Suspicious: Trojan-Spy.HTML.Fraud.gen 1
C:\Users\Patrick\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\xndnwi0r.Patrick\Mail\Local Folders\Sent Infected: Email-Worm.Win32.NetSky.b 1
C:\Users\Patrick\Desktop\Laptop data\OS X\Library\Thunderbird\Profiles\ytqla5i0.Patrick\Mail\pop.gmail.com\Inbox Suspicious: Trojan-Spy.HTML.Fraud.gen 1

The selected area was scanned.

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 68,274 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:03 PM

Hello were SAS abnd Mbam run from the regular user account? They should be and should have got these.

#13 Kid_B

Kid_B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:44 AM

Hello boopme,

MBAM was run from my regular account (which is an Administrator account). SAS was run as instructed in Safe Mode, which is not my regular account.

Kid_B

#14 Kid_B

Kid_B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:52 AM

Dear boopme,

Out of curiosity I just did a bit of digging on BC, and came across the following links.

I also have Free Download Manager installed -- do you think this could be the problem?! I shall try uninstalling FDM this evening when I get back from work and see if solves it.

However if you could possibly please also advise me who I might removed those email viruses in my Thunderbird profiles, I would be very grateful.

Thank you very much,
Kid_B

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 68,274 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:07 PM

Hi, yes they can sometimes interfere.

We should run another Online scan to get a second opinion.
Please do an online scan with Kaspersky WebScanner

Click on Kaspersky Online Scanner

You will be prompted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.
  • The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files:
  • Once the files have been downloaded click on NEXT
  • Now click on Scan Settings
  • In the scan settings make that the following are selected:
    • Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
    Extended (if available otherwise Standard)
    • Scan Options:
    Scan Archives
    Scan Mail Bases
  • Click OK
  • Now under select a target to scan:Select My Computer
  • This will program will start and scan your system.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
  • Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
    • Now click on the Save as Text button:
  • Save the file to your desktop.
  • Copy and paste that information in your next post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users