Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can not open window's update/ task manager/ network manager and can not shut down

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 boman

boman

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

After the last window's update on Dec. 18th failed, my computer behaves strangely. I tried to restore the system to before the update, but now I can not open window's update. In normal mode, the window update window freezes when opened. In safe mode, window update does not even open. Also my task manager does not open in normal mode. A taskmanager icon appears on the system tray, but the task manager does not show up. Also the wireless network manager freezes when I try to access it in normal mode. The system takes longer than usual to load in normal mode. The system also frequently crashes while starting up in normal mode, only a blank screen with a mouse arrow in the middle appears. When I shut the computer down, it freezes in log out screen, so I have to manually shut it down. The defragment also will not run.
There is serveral cases of service hang report in my problem log involving Nlasvc, SstpSvc, WinHttpAutoProxySvc.
I'm sure I don't have any malware in my system left since I checked it through the virus removal/hijackthis forum as well as multiple virus scans, still the problem persist.

Edited by boman, 07 January 2009 - 10:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:20 AM

Hi boman,

Some questions:

You said you are sure you don't have any malware left. Did you have malware? And did you have malware when you tried to do the update which wasn't sucessful?

Do you have a cd with your computer?

Which Antivirus program are you using?

Zllio

#3 boman

boman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:30 PM

1. I don't think I got any malwares on my system because I scaned my system using Mccafee, and Systematic online scans and it did not find any problems.
I even went through the hijack this forum, and they did not find anything suspicious.

2. Unfortunately, I can not find my installation CD

3. I use micafee security suite as my anti virus

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:18 PM

Hi boman,

Are all other antivirus programs off of your computer? If there is any other, be sure it is uninstalled.

Then try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

It will try to find and fix corrupt files. If it can't fix them, there are some instructions for how to take ownership of the files and replace them with good ones.

Let me know how this goes.
Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users