Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

STOP 0x000000F4 and other errors

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 teiresias

teiresias

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:27 PM

Specs: Windows XP Professional SP2, 2002 version
Processor: Pentium® 4 CPU 3.40 GHz
1.00 GB of RAM
2 hard drives: C:\ = 144 GB (27.0 GB free), G:\ = storage = 298 GB (33.1 GB free)
Audio: Onboard SigmaTel, previously had SoundBlaster Live! 24-bit before it broke, received new soundcard for Xmas but want to take care of the problems in this post before installing it (though software/drivers/etc. are still installed for the old soundcard)
Any other specifications I should include?
----
I realize that the 'Before you post about a problem' pinned thread notes that I should put one problem per post, but all the different errors seem interconnected and can be tied to the 'problem', so I figure I should include them as details.
---
Problem: Lately my computer has been very finicky, often freezing completely and necessitating reboot with the power button. There were several errors that preceded it, however.
----
History: A few days ago I attempted to transfer a ~2GB folder (2.7 on disk) with ~2700 subfolders containing ~235,000 files from My Documents in C:\ to G:\ as I was worried my C:\ would fail so I'd been moving everything 'important' file-wise to G:\ while keeping programs etc. installed on C:\. The transfer had errors and stopped/froze, so I would hit the power button and attempted again. After it froze and I restarted, Checkdisk informed me that G:\ was dirty and would run its processes, but always got stuck / frozen on a percentage between 10% and 20% on step 2/3. I know it was frozen because I allowed it to sit there and waited overnight more than 12 hours and when I checked it again it was still on the same percentage whereas the previous percentages before it had ran by quickly.

So, I finally got it to run in safe mode by selecting that before Chkdsk would run (it froze if I attempted Safe Mode With Networking, and ran Chkdsk prompting the percentage freeze if run on normal mode) and did some looking around. I found that the corrupted files were in the subfolder of G:\ which I had been transferring from My Documents, and tried to delete it both through Windows Explorer and the command prompt (am novice at the latter), but it didn't allow me. I then manually folder-by-folder deleted every subfolder and file that wasn't corrupted, after which only the corrupted files (less than 100 out of the ~200,000) remained. After that, it restarted and then was able to run completely through all three steps of Chkdsk, and was able to login with Normal Mode. Now that the files were no longer corrupted (I think - Chkdsk had said it was Correcting / Deleting files, then Recovering orphaned file [xxx] into directory file [xxx] with [xxx] changing rapidly, then part 3/3 was Verifying security descriptors and it said it was "Correcting errors in Master File Table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute [xxx] in volume bitmap", but it ran quickly so I couldn't write all the Chkdsk processes down) I deleted the entire tree of the folder in G:\ that had contained the subfolder which had corrupted files in its folders through rmdir /s in the command prompt.

It still froze constantly while working in Safe Mode as well as later/now in Normal Mode - the freezing seems sometimes to be when I attempt multitasking that would never before be too much of a burden, like unzipping a small file that would take seconds as well as scrolling down a Firefox page as well, or attempting to listen to music in Winamp while clicking on a folder in Explorer, etc. The other thing that would prompt freezing was if I would leave it idle / sitting there for a while, even if programs were running (I tried AVG virusscan a couple times but that froze in the middle) so I kept always using the mouse / typing / etc.

I had run Disk Cleanup in C:\ (got rid of over 68 MB of temporary files) while it was starting to freeze but I could still run it in normal mode and hadn't gotten the Chkdsk "G:\ is dirty" thing at startup yet, and attempted to defrag C:\ but it notified me that I needed at least 15% free space (apparently I had 12% free on one and 9% free on the other).

At one point, starting while I was defragging C:\ but continuing after that froze and I restarted, I lost audio and video capability for a while, but that has returned and I no longer worry about it. When reading online I wondered if not enough free space could be to blame, so I greatly reduced the allotted disk space for each drives for Recycle Bin and System Restore, which actually took up more than was available (I think).
----
Now, for the error messages: There have been two blue screens, many many many freezes, and many Warnings / Errors in the Event Log. The original blue screen I got was Kernel_stack_inpage_error when I left it on overnight running a program (never had problems with that before), and just today after all the aforementioned steps yesterday I got "STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x866531C8, 0x8665333C, 0x805D1204) beginning dump of physical memory" which according to Microsoft is this, Kernel_data_inpage_error as opposed to my previous Kernel_stack_inpage_error (forgot to write down the number, sorry!)

Event Log has been having a field day, but there are only 4 relevant that have simply been repeating themselves over again:
1. In 'System' I am very often getting the warning "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation" with "disk" as source
2. In 'System' with 'atapi' as source I repeatedly get the warning "The driver has detected that device \Device\Ide\IdePort1 has old or out-of-date firmware. Reduced performance may result."
3. In 'System' with 'Browser' as source I repeatedly get the warning "The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master \\D35XGW1 on the network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{406CF207-4E87-4AB8-AF36-A06DDFC5960A}. The data is the error code."
4. A short while after #3 it seems to lead into the Error (in 'System' with 'Browser' as source) "The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{406CF207-4E87-4AB8-AF36-A06DDFC5960A}. The backup browser is stopping."

Unfortunately, the events in the Event Log are gibberish to me. Nothing else of consequence has been happening there, however. I would extremely appreciate any help you could give, whether it be suggestions for how to go about correcting the problem or simply explaining what the error messages / event log entries mean - I have no clue what firmware, kernels, Ide, etc. are. Please name anything you want me to try and post results / specs / etc. and I will comply! I am very worried as G:\ was supposed to be my backup drive that I could store everything important on when C:\ finally goes too critical to solve save wiping / formatting it and starting from scratch again. I keep 'patching' C:\ up but know it will fail someday ... didn't expect G:\ to get affected! Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

The kernel errors have to do with memory, as does the first event viewer error (the disk one). But other symptoms point to a possible problem with the hard drive or the motherboard.

So, the first thing to run would be a bootable memory diagnostic from here: http://www.memtest86.com/ Please read the directions carefully and let the test run for a minimum of 3 passes (overnight is better). If it starts showing errors you can stop the test and post back here.

You could also run a bootable hard drive diagnostic on ALL of your hard drives. Links to the most common one's are here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 teiresias

teiresias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:31 AM

Thanks, usasma - unfortunately there's a problem with running scans; twice in a row now my computer has frozen exactly one hour (to the minute) after I've turned it on - if it does it this time as well I'll confirm it as a pattern and not a coincidence. This means scans wouldn't complete if they last more than an hour, unfortunately.

I turned it on this morning to find it was already on and had a blue screen KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR - STOP: 0x00000077 (0xC0000185, 0xC0000185, 0x00000000, 0x0001F000).

Once it loaded, I was moving stuff in G:\ when I got the warning/error popup "Windows - Delayed Write Failed. Windows was unable to save all the data for the file G:\$BitMap. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere." Now, I am unable to access G:\ and it has actually disappeared from My Computer.

Can anyone help? I need to be able to access G:\ simply so I can write down all the folders and files that are/were in it so even if I wipe it I can get that stuff again. I had a G:\ command prompt shortcut but now when I click on it it instead goes to the C:\ prompt and says it cannot find the G:\ drive.

Would System Restore enable me to go back to an earlier period where the drive was recognized long enough for me to write down the info? I am afraid it is a lost cause, though.

#4 teiresias

teiresias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:57 PM

The good news - it no longer freezes even if I provoke it. The bad news - G:\ and everything on it has completely disappeared. Event Log is having a field day - should I provide some of the entries? I will now run those scans, usasma, as it seems there won't be any freezing in the middle of them. Might be a bit too late to do anything about the drive, though.

At this point, I figure the drive is unable to be restored - do you think there's something physically wrong with it or can I in fact wipe / format it and use it again? Though right now I'm in the mood to wipe C:\ as well after backing up files - the only problem is that I'm missing the XP installation disk I had years ago, and that I'm not quite sure how to go about backing up stuff; I suppose data CDs and data DVDs? I have Nero 6 but 'ISO' and the 'Backup' options are unintelligible to me so I don't know which option I should use for my C:\ stuff; I gave up on G:\ and assume it's lost for good.

I should note that I went into System Restore and tried to go to an earlier point, but it popped up a message that it wouldn't have any effect on the G:\ drive.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:52 PM

The memory test will tell you if your memory is bad, the hard drive test will tell you if your hard drive is bad.
Bad means you're going to have to replace it.

The partition names don't mean much here. C:\ and G:\ are just names for the partition on the hard drive. How many actual hard drives do you have? You should run the hard drive diagnostic on each of them.

To find out, go to Start...Run...and type in "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. The list at the bottom of the pane describes each drive that you have.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 teiresias

teiresias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:51 AM

I have 2 hard drives, the main C:\ and a secondary G:\ that I installed a few years later.

I ran the memory test overnight and with ~40 passes there were 0 errors; I guess that means my memory's okay.

I was shocked, however, to reboot my computer and discover G:\ was back, along with everything on it — the shortcuts to it work as well! Very strange. I'm going to take advantage of this opportunity to burn everything as quick as I can. :thumbsup:

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:12 PM

Backups are always the first priority! Once your data's safe you can take your time troubleshooting the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users