Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard disk interchanging btwn systems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nawin_g

nawin_g

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 20 May 2005 - 11:36 PM

hi,

first let me describe wat my configuration is.

HCL Motherboard, AMD 64 bit 2800+ processor, (512+128)Mb Ram, 80GB SATA hard disk.

i have Windows XP professional installed on it. also FEODRA CORE 3.
i have C (windows xp), D , E, F , H and one more for LINUX as the partitions.

C and F drives are in NTFS format. F drive has access only to the administrator.

E and H are FAT32 and are mounted on linux.

due to some reasons i want to connect this Hard disk to a system with following configuration :
Intel Celeron 1.2Ghz, Mercury Motherboard, 128Mb ram, 40Gb hard disk. Windows Xp professional installed with C and D drives (FAT32).

i heard from one of my freinds that if i boot windows xp from a different motherboard its drives will get installed and later when i connect it back to the original system it will not work properly. is it true??

my main motive is to acess the E drive (FAT32 format). so if i connect the 80Gb hard disk as a slave and leave the 40Gb as master and boot the windows on 40Gb, can i b able to access the E drive on the 80Gb hard disk? also will there b any problems if i connect this 80Gb hard disk back to the original system (with AMD processor and HCL mother board)?

if i want to boot the windows on 80Gb harddisk on the system with Mercury mother board and Intel processor, is there any way such that it will not cause any problems when i reconnect this 80Gb hard disk to the old system(HCL mb and AMD)?

thanking in anticipation

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2005 - 09:10 AM

if i want to boot the windows on 80Gb harddisk on the system with Mercury mother board and Intel processor, is there any way such that it will not cause any problems when i reconnect this 80Gb hard disk to the old system(HCL mb and AMD)?

If the Mercury board supports SATA you can install the 80GB hard drive as a slave with no problems. You will not be able to boot with it in the Mercury board as that drive doesn't have the software that will run that board and the peripherals. If you try to boot with it, the boot will fail because it will still want to boot the HCL board. You may corrupt the data on the drive also, so its not a good idea to try that.

my main motive is to acess the E drive (FAT32 format). so if i connect the 80Gb hard disk as a slave and leave the 40Gb as master and boot the windows on 40Gb, can i b able to access the E drive on the 80Gb hard disk?

Yes.

also will there b any problems if i connect this 80Gb hard disk back to the original system (with AMD processor and HCL mother board)?

No. As long as you don't try to boot anything else with it. Try to have one or two replacement cables ready in case you need to replace one .

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 nawin_g

nawin_g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 04:08 AM

Thnx 4 UR help.

i have connected the 80GB hard disk as slave and booted using the OS on 40 GB disk.

i am able to access all the drives on my hard disk and read the data.

thank u once again.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 04:21 AM

Your welcome nawin_g and thanks for posting back to let us know you were successful.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users