Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows CD

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Fish'n'Chip

Fish'n'Chip

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:46 PM

Hi all,

I am in the middle of of a complex 'memory diagnostic testing' of my Notebook. Wish to know if the Windows CD and Product Recovery (disk provided to me with the laptop at the time of buying) are same.

Booting the computer for repair throws up with an 'administer password'. I have forgotten the password. Where shall I look for the password in the PC and if I can't find one what is the alternative of by-passing the procedure?

Please advice. Any suggestion from anyone is welcome.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:18 PM

We cannot provide assistance with lost/missing passwords. For most systems tho', try just pressing Enter (a blank password) to see if that works.

The Restore CD may/may not be a copy of the Windows CD. Knowing the make and model of the PC will help determine this.
Some restore CD's are images of the hard drive, while others are customized versions of the Windows CD.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Fish'n'Chip

Fish'n'Chip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:25 PM

Hi usasma,

Thanks for the reply.

It's a Toshiba Notebook. Windows Vista Home Premium.

I am more worried about the warning which says I might lose all the data on the hard disks if I use it. I hear though that the repairing mechanism would not delete files or erase any data.

Please advice. Thank you.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:21 PM

AFAIK the Toshiba repair disk will wipe all of your stuff out and will result in a fresh install of Vista.

Startup Repair is the menu that you use to get to the Windows Memory Diagnostic. Do you have the option for Startup Repair? That shouldn't wipe your data out.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Fish'n'Chip

Fish'n'Chip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:58 PM

Hi usasma,

Thanks for the reply.

I have launched 'repair' in fact through the boot manager inside and run 'memory diagnostic' test on basic, standard and extended levels. But all the levels are not completing the test run full and therefore do not display errors at all.

The PC shuts mid way and do not restart on its own as Tutorials say. I have to physically launch the system everytime.

I do not know what next to do. Please advise. Thank you.

Edited by Fish'n'Chip, 07 January 2009 - 07:00 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:30 PM

The last resort is to backup your stuff and then run the Toshiba reinstall routine (which'll wipe everything out).
If that still doesn't fix it, then it's most likely that there's a hardware problem with the computer.

Is it still under warranty?

#7 Fish'n'Chip

Fish'n'Chip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:50 AM

Hi usasma,

No, the warranty is over just a week ago. Missed the dates unfortunately. Any idea (approx) how much would that cost me if I got to take the machine to the company or someone reputable to fix the problem?

Thank you.

Edited by Fish'n'Chip, 08 January 2009 - 02:51 AM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:53 AM

I'd suggest contacting Toshiba directly to check on your warranty. I've had customers with HP laptops call and be told that they still had a week or two left - so it's probably worth a call.

I'd place this at the top of the priority list in case this is a hardware problem. You can go ahead with backing your stuff up and reinstalling the OS from scratch - as that's likely to be what the service center will do before replacing the innards.

#9 Fish'n'Chip

Fish'n'Chip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:22 PM

Hi usasma,

Thanks for the reply. I shall do as said.

I am just a 'click' away doing the reinstalling from scratch. Hope Toshiba has got some good news on my warranty.

Cheers.

Edited by Fish'n'Chip, 08 January 2009 - 12:24 PM.

#10 Fish'n'Chip

Fish'n'Chip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:37 PM

Hi usasma,

The good news is I got my warranty still valid. Not from Toshiba but from vendor-supported warranty policy. Hope that would help me tide over the crisis I am in at the moment.

Update you with the latest.

Thank you.

#11 spence2

spence2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:59 PM

Some 'Warrenties' don't cove 'software problems. I too bought the extended warranty when I bought my computer 2yrs. ago. The 'Salesman' told me it did, plus it coved ANYTHING' that could go wrong with it.
Since I don't know much about computers, I thought it could help me. I called last week, only to be told...sure if anthing needs to be replaced, it will be covered. I live in So.Calif. so if we have a 'Earthquake' they will THEN replace my computer. Ya right!, I'm sure they will find some excuse not to replace my computer. Never again will I waste my money on an 'Extend Warranty'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users