Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Activate Auto-Protect in Norton

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 guitarhero310

guitarhero310

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:59 AM

Hello,

My computer has recently become infected with ntdll64.exe malware, probably among other bugs. It seems that I have eradicated the bug by running Malwarebytes' and ComboFix, but something is still preventing me from activating auto-protect in my Norton antivirus software. What steps should I take to resolve this? Thank you.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ghostwarrior25

ghostwarrior25

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:15 PM

have you tried going in to services.msc and see if the norton or symantec serivce has been disabled or not started?

#3 guitarhero310

guitarhero310
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:20 PM

All functions of Norton are activated except Auto-protect, and when I try to activate it, nothing happens.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:02 PM

Do you get any errors in Event Viewer when trying to activate it? To check, go to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check both the System log and the Application log for errors around the time that you try to activate it. Let us know what you find.
You may also want to check the Security log for anything out of the ordinary.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:21 PM

If the Symantec program is damaged...the correct thing to do may be the uninstall/reinstall/update routine.

I used Symantec products for about 6 years at the turn of the century...and that was my typical way of overcoming hiccups in the programs.

Louis

#6 guitarhero310

guitarhero310
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:23 PM

No errors come up in the system log and the application log when I try to activate Auto-protect. Nothing out of the ordinary in security log.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:10 PM

I'd suggest following hamluis' advice.

You can also use the Norton Removal Tool to ensure all the stuff is gone: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...005033108162039
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:38 PM

Hello,

My computer has recently become infected with ntdll64.exe malware, probably among other bugs. It seems that I have eradicated the bug by running Malwarebytes' and ComboFix, but something is still preventing me from activating auto-protect in my Norton antivirus software. What steps should I take to resolve this? Thank you.

Hi guitarhero310,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

Can you please tell me what version of Norton AntiVirus you have installed?

Also try to manually run LiveUpdate to ensure you have the latest patches and definition files applied. When LiveUpdate is complete, perform a "Full System Scan" to check for and remove infections that may have disabled Auto-Protect.

After you run all of the updates and the "Full System Scan" try turning Auto-Protect back on.

Let me know the status after completing these steps.

Thank you,
Mike
Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

#9 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:10 PM

Posted above me are all great suggestions, so do not look past them.

Be sure all norton services are running by typing services.msc into a run command and check Symantec services are set to automatic.

#10 guitarhero310

guitarhero310
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:42 PM

Michael York,

I've done all you suggested and am still not able to turn on Auto-protect. The full system scan detected and deleted 4 infected files. Everything under services.msc seems in order.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:04 PM

Michael York has been here before. Hopefully he subscribed to this topic and will return shortly.
If you can't wait, post back and we'll do what we can.

#12 guitarhero310

guitarhero310
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:11 PM

I'm going to try the uninstall/reinstall/update routine that was suggested by hamluis and usasma and then go from there. i'll be back in a little bit...

#13 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:32 PM

I'm going to try the uninstall/reinstall/update routine that was suggested by hamluis and usasma and then go from there. i'll be back in a little bit...

Hi guitarhero310,

Please follow these steps to properly remove and reinstall Norton. By the way what version are you using?

1. Click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool:

Norton Removal Tool and Instructions

2. After you run the tool, please restart your computer. Then log in to Windows again and run the removal tool again. Restart your computer after it is finished running the second time as well.

3. Make sure that your internet connection is working properly, and then reinstall Norton AntiVirus.

4. When the installation is complete, launch Norton AntiVirus and manually run LiveUpdate, possibly multiple times, until it informs you that no more updates are available.

5. Perform a "Full System Scan" with Norton again to check for any more infections.

Thanks,
Mike
Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users