Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD 8E while booting into normal mode, Safe mode fine. Disable automatic restart doesnt work.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rajiv78

rajiv78

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:37 AM

Hi
I have Thinkpad T43, with windows XP professional.

Since few days whenever i launched my ATI catalyst control center I would get BSOD and laptop will boot automatically and then everything would be fine.

Then while browsing my wife downloaded some media player exe, and since then my IE was redirecting to unknown sites (xalab etc) not to mention various ad pop-ups. One of the online video sites gave a message that I have TROJ/Rustok-N. (Also I would like to mention since couple of months my System Restore was not working although everything else was working fine)

I ran spybot, malawarebytes, trojanremover and removed whatever was reported. But the problem persisted, so I renewed my Norton Internet Security (actually got Norton 360), ran scans but it couldnt find anything.

Then I booted in safe mode and ran all these again, last thing I remember trojanremover prompted to remove something like sv~.exe and i did, when i restarted the system in normal mode I got BSOD and laptop rebooted, I disabled automatic restart on failure but it keeps on doing that.

I then went to Access IBM and restored by configuration which brings back the system files to previous state (the most latest point available was 07/2006)
I still got the BSOD while booting into normal mode, but safe mode was working fine.

I then went into safe mode and disabled couple of services on startup, then my laptop booted fine in normal mode, I found that now windows xp was reset to SP2, so i ran windows update which bought it back to SP3. When I restarted then system i again got BSOD but safe mode still works perfectly fine.

I ran windows online scan in safe mode it found couple of problems (backdoor.haxdoor etc) which i removed its not able to fix 2 problems which it reports as java/gimmish.. but still BSOD persists...

I noticed in my Device Manager - show hidden - I have MMX Virtualization service in Plug and Play drivers. and it has a warning sign against it

Since BSOD lasts for very short time and disable automatic restart on failure is not working, I am not able to see exact error but I do see that it begins with
000..8E.

I am not sure if this is related but recently I got alert from battery that it should be replaced, I am now running my laptop on AC power always. Battery only lasts for 30 mins.

I am clueless, please help

Thanks

Rajiv
----------------------

One more thing to add initially I was not able to boot into safe mode, it would hang after loading MUP.sys and prompt if loading of SPTD.sys to be skipped.. after some
reading on internet i removed the SPTD.sys after that i was able to boot into safe mode

Edited by rajiv78, 07 January 2009 - 12:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:54 PM

FWIW: http://kadaitcha.cx/xp/stop_error.html

As stated, it's a matter of hide-and-seek, with no guarantee of finding the culprit.

Another link that may be useful: http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users