Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD, Keyboard and Mouse not working @ all

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tattooz

tattooz

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:19 AM

Hi,

I am posting this for a friend of mine.
He has a Dell XPS 400 (he thinks its a 400) running XP.
The USB mouse and keyboard is not working at all for him so he says he cant even get into the bios. The motherboard only has usb slots for keyboard and mouse.
He tried another usb mouse and keyboard but they do not work either.

The BSOD (blue screen of Death) comes up now and gives this error message:

[codebox]DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP:0X000000D1(0X00000018,0X0000002,0X00000000,0XB9E4525F)
*** IASTOR.SYS - ADDRESS B9E4525F BASE AT B9E36000 , DATESTAMP 4262CK42[/codebox]

I found a post on another forum where someone was having the same problem. The steps to fix it were: to drain the reserved power by holding power button for 10 seconds. Unplug everything from the computer (keyboard mouse, printer, ect..). Then, next to the sata plugs on the motherboard, there is a blue small 3 prong with a jumper. Disconnected the jumper for 15 seconds and then reconnected it. That unfortunatly did not resolve the problem.

Does anyone know what the error on the BSOD means? can the USB drivers be corrupt? Is there any way of fixing this problem?
I apreciate any help you can give and thanks for taking the time out to read this and help out.

Edited by tattooz, 07 January 2009 - 11:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:08 PM

Hi tattooz,

You did part of the following, but not all of it. Have you tried reseating your video card and memory cards and unplugging and plugging back in all the different cables? You need to be sure to ground yourself, as a small amount of electrostatic electricity can damage your computer. Here are some instructions for how to ground yourself:

How to ground yourself

You did part of the following, but not all of it:

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic113137.html

Also, I have some questions. Do the LED's on the computer light up? Does the BIOS beep? Do you remember which kind of BIOS you have? If it's Award, it will normally beep at startup. Have you recently installed any new hardware?

The following link has the same error message you do and it indicates it's the chip driver, but doesn't have the keyboard problem.

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-...-need-help.html

Zllio

#3 tattooz

tattooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:55 PM

Zllio,

Thank you very much for replying. I really apreciate it.

It is my friends computer that is having the trouble. When he starts it up, it takes him to the logon page, but from there he can't log on to finish loading windows as the keyboard and mouse will not work and he can not enter his password.
That is when I told him about the jumper next to the SATA cables. After he removed the jumper and put it back in, he started the computer and now is getting the blue screen with the error message.

I did ask him if he installed any programs or hardware and he told me he hasn't.

I'll tell him to take the cmos battery out and jump it again. Also, I'll have him disconnect all wires and vid card + ram and reconnect as you said.
As far as I know, he is getting all the LEDs on the computer and it is loading past the bios into windows log on page. Its just that he can not do anything from there without the keyboard working.

Thanks again for the help. I'm sure that your busy enough with normal life and to take the time out of your day to help is greatly apreciated.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:10 PM

The IASTOR.SYS file is related to the Intel Application Accelerator or Intel Matrix Storage driver. It's one of the programs that controls the hard drive.

From the info that you provided, it appears that the driver isn't accessing memory correctly. I'd first suggest reinstalling the Intel drivers by going to the Dell support website and entering the Service Tag number for this system. Then locate the above Intel products in the download list, download them, and install them.

If the problem continues, try a bootable hard drive diagnostic that's available from the manufacturer of the hard drive. Links to the most common ones are here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 tattooz

tattooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:11 PM

usasma,

Thanks alot for the info. I'll get this info to my friend. I would imagine it has to be pretty frustrating not being able to do anything at all on a computer.
I really apreciate the help and just like I said to Zllio, taking the time out of your day to help is awesome.

I'll make sure to reply here if it works incase anyone else runs into this problem.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:13 PM

We're here to help. It's the spirit of the online communities - "Users helping users"
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 tattooz

tattooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:31 PM

We're here to help. It's the spirit of the online communities - "Users helping users"

Absolutely :thumbsup:
Thank god there's still people like everyone here @ BC.

#8 tattooz

tattooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:26 PM

Well, My buddy ended up getting chkdsk to run from his XP cd and it found a bunch of corrupt sections on the hard drive.
After they were fixed, he reinstalled the drivers for his usb mouse and keyboard and everything worked fine.
I'm not sure how the keyboard worked in the windows CD but it did luckly.

Thanks again Zllio and usasma.

#9 Kimsland

Kimsland

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:12 AM

Hi Zllio, thanks for the mention of above quoted No POST guide
I agree with community spirit too. I followed this thread and it looks as though the resetting of CMOS jumper with battery out, may have been the best option. Certainly the guide (written purposely very basically, and user friendly) has helped many, and avoided me continually saying the same things over and over again :flowers:

I have referenced BleepingComputer.com on many occasions (through quote or general info) BSOD can be sometimes really easy (with a quick driver update; or memory issue) and other times hard to pinpoint (with the thousands of MS articles; varying faults and stacks of reference and history and solutions across the net)

As they say: Google is your friend, and so are the many Tech forums and members that help too :thumbsup:

TechSpot Moderator kimsland

#10 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:24 PM

Ah Kimsland,

I appreciate the thanks, but I believe the thanks go to usasma for the references you refer to. It's funny though, that I posted a link to the instructions from your own forum.

Nice to see you here.
Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users