Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing duplicate files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Phread

Phread

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:48 AM

:thumbsup: Looking for a utilty that will remove duplicate files from a PC running XP Pro SP2.

All suggestions gratly appreciated -

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:31 AM

If you are talking about duplicate system files or program files...I suggest that you revise your thinking. Programs are written to look for files in a given place/path...if they are not there, the programs don't necessarily search the entire system looking for them. Then you will wonder why your system is not performing properly.

If you are talking data files...I have to wonder what's wrong with the Delete button on your system.

In response to your query....there are several programs available that chase down duplicate files on a system. Just do a Google, using the string "remove duplicate files" or something analogous. There are utilities to remove many, but few to restore such when deleted.

Louis

#3 Phread

Phread
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:38 AM

Thnaks for your reply.

I was hoping that someone might have had positive experience with one of the programs designed to delete duplicates. I've already done the Google bit and found quite a few, but I'd still lilke ot get recommendations.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:47 PM

Freeware replacements for common commercial applications is probably the place you should look:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:17 PM

Again...it depends on what duplicates you intend to delete.

I don't delete any duplicate files for programs...but I do delete duplicates of graphics images which I've created and placed in a zillion places. I'm sure that you see that there are a ton of utilities that will delete duplicate files of some type.

Louis

#6 bevforxp08

bevforxp08

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:30 AM

:flowers: I just wanted to say that I had a program on my XP computer that supposedly would delete duplicate files. Not
being entirely sure how to use it I went in and deleted essentially one of each of the so called duplicate files...then of course
the next time I went to boot my computer I couldn't. As you might have guessed I had messed up the registry and was stuck. This computer didn't come with any kind of rescue disc and the XP CD was useless. (all the computer would do would
get to the log on window and as I would type 2 or 3 letters the computer would shut off and restart. I had inquired at a computer repair shop and they were telling me they could recover my saved info and documents and then they would reload windows...which all totaled was going to cost me like $275 or more. Moral of the story is don't use a program that deletes duplicate files! Good thing is I was pretty sure I could find something that I could use to restore the computer and I did. I read about one that could get into the computer even if it wouldn't reboot and it was from DRI Spotmau and it's called
Power Suite 2009 and it did just like it said (it could have been a little easier to understand in terms of downloading it from
the internet)but it was well worth the $49.95 I paid for it; especially when the computer shop was going to charge me at
least $275! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users