Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 andru

andru

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:04 AM

Hey guys i'v been using this forum for a long time now nomaly searching over the forum for my answers.
I am wanting to upgrade my computer and espesially my gfx card. Here are my Computer specs

Microsoft windows XP Home Version 2002 SP2

MOther Board : Gigabyte 7VM400AM-RZ
Power supply: 300watts
908MHz
1 gig ram
ADM Anthlon Proccesor
Sound: Logitech Z-4's (shlda got Z2300)

GFX: AGP ---Broken Card

So top priorty is a new Graffics card for around $50AU -$100AU to play Counter Strike: source and online vid streaming. Should i bother upgrading my motherboard for a PCI-E or just leave as AGP and should i upgrade power supply aswell? the next is maby a sound card ?if needed? and then maby the ram but i have 2x 512 taking up bowth slots so not sure if its worth it. Keep each under $100. All suggestions are welcome and would be much appretiated
Cheers and thanks for all the previous help i have had from you guys! :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:31 AM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

If you don't want to upgrade your system, and the only game you plan on playing is an older one such as counter-strike: source, then a new agp card should be fine. Your may need a new power supply depending on what card you get.

I would recommend an ATI 2600XT. It's getting harder to find good AGP cards, but this is the best one that they still make (underneath the 3850 which would be overkill for you). I would help you find one, but I don't know of any Australian computer websites. I don't think you would need a new power supply, but it will be cutting close. You could always install the graphics card, and if you notice stability issues, then you could buy a new power supply.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:50 PM

Agree with what Sterling14 posted. The problem is you are already 3 generations of CPU and motherboard behind the current offerings. If you absolutely need a graphics card, I can see that, but I wouldn't put another penny into your current setup. Depending on what processor you actually have, even Source engine games night be a chore at higher settings/resolutions.

It is no problem getting a good Intel p45 motherboard, low end Intel dual core (E5200), and 2 gigs of DDR2 for $230, plus you can use a current generation PCIE card with it. You will have to upgrade your power supply as well. It does get to the point where throwing money at an older system doesn't make sense anymore.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 andru

andru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:26 AM

Cheers guys. Yer well i may aswell keep my comp as it is becuase it's running as good as i need it to, but as for the gfx card i have been looking at the ATI Radeon 2600XT and this looks great i can get it for around $80AU online but will it be alot better than say a Galaxy GeForce FX5500($50 at a store) and worth the extra cash? also what about the PowerColor ATI X1650 Pro I can get that at a store for $80AU. I'm basicly looking for the best bang for the buck on the market <$100 enless it's really worth spending more.
(Ow and i'm also going to get another 2 gig ram to make it run smoother)
Thanks again guys really appretiate the help!
Andrew

PS: i'v been going off this chart it helps alot. See if you can see any better cards for around the same price :D http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon...ics,2086-7.html

Edited by andru, 08 January 2009 - 07:13 AM.

#5 andru

andru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:52 AM

Sorry this is not correct i can not get the 2600XT FOR $80au I think its around $150 and really hard to get and that is a bit to expesive yer i am thinking the PowerColor ATI X1650 Pro should be ok for $80AU(in store) which is about $56USD. will this be a good price/card or should i go for another?

Also I here that my MPT 300 watt PCU cannot handle this card espesially with my 2 hard drives and the 2.5 ram?
Although i may be wrong should i upgrade the PSU or not? Thanks

Edited by andru, 09 January 2009 - 05:33 AM.

#6 andru

andru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:05 AM

Also i havn't had a video card in my system for over a year and just remembering now, one day i turned my computer on and all i herd was a long continuas beep. So i took my GFX card out and it worked OK, but just now i tried an old GFX card and it does the same thing. Do you think that thier is a problem with the video cards or my comp? i don't want to buy this new card and find out the same thing happens :thumbsup: i will post this in another thread aswell.
Thx

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

The ATI X1650 pro will be good for counter-strike source. It's a few years old, but it's better than an FX5500.

That beep may be that you need a better power supply for a graphics card. Open up your case, and read the label to us. What we need to know is how many amps are on the +12V rail, and as you already told us, the total wattage, but you may want to check it to just to be sure. If you have the manual for your motherboard, or can find it online, it may tell you what the beeping means (it's usually a code as to why the system is acting up).
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#8 andru

andru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:54 AM

I will stick with the ATI X1650 then Thanks. and i checked the manual and nothing but i read on the net that a long beep means memory problem but my 1 gig ram is doing fine and was for the good year and a half that i used the GFX and the old card i tried was very old and didn't need much at all so don't really know here are my PCU specs : Input 230V -3A 50hz and yellow: +12v = 18A is that right? I think you might tell me that i have to upgrade the PCU and if i do i'll go for the Power Supply 825W 12V 2X8CM Fans for $80 at http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=4 or the Power Supply 550W with 12cm Fan with SATA for $44 http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=4 most likley i'll stick with the $44 can you tell me if these are dogy becuase i can't find them anywhere on the net and they are alot lower than all the others but they do come with 1 year warrenty, I will also get a new hard drive which should i choose the Western Digital 640G SATAII 7200 rpm HDD $99 or Samsung 640G 7200RPM SATAII $90. Also my Moboard is only 908MHz can it handle the extra drive, gig and card?
Thanks heeps for all the help ey :thumbsup:

Edited by andru, 10 January 2009 - 09:59 AM.

#9 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:24 PM

I must of skimmed over it in your original post, but your processor is only 908mhz? That's really pushing it playing counter-strike source. The new graphics card will help, but that processor is going to hold it back.

If you're considering all of these upgrades, I think you are much better off just buying a new system (as dpunisher mentioned).

A newer motherboard would allow you to use DDR2 ram, which is much cheaper than DDR.

Also, is your computer custom built? If so, you can legally wipe your current hard drive (back up your data that you want of course) and then use your same Windows xp license on a new system. This will save you about $100 off a new build.

Also, you could get an AMD processor (the dual-core's are very cheap now) and a motherboard with AMD 780 chipset which includes ATI HD 3200 integrated graphics. Those integrated graphics should allow you to play counter strike source fairly well, and then if you wanted to, get a graphics card later.

Another thing is if your computer is a custom built, you could probably reuse the case.

I really don't think you should be wasting money on this old computer.

Edited by Sterling14, 10 January 2009 - 04:25 PM.

#10 andru

andru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:44 AM

OK i think i am going to invest in a new comp then. I'll make a new thread and get you to help me there
CHeers mate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users