Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommendations good for everyone?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gumdrop

Gumdrop

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 20 May 2005 - 09:38 PM

Is it safe for any ol' body to remove/fix/delete any HJT entry here that is being recommended to someone else for removal/fix/delete ??

Just something I've wondered about...no hurry.

. )) -::-
. .))
((. . -::-Kris
-::- ((.*

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 20 May 2005 - 11:50 PM

Hi Gumdrop. the rule of thumb is: "It all depends". Unless you know what you ar doing it is not recommended that you remove anything with HijackThis. Many files that show up are legitimate files and if you remove the wrong ones you could render your computer inoperable.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#3 Gumdrop

Gumdrop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2005 - 12:29 AM

Okay, I understand that part pretty well. But what about the entries you're telling other people to remove...if I were to find the same thing you're telling someone else to get rid of, would it be safe for me to also remove that particular item--without posting my own log?

Or does it need to be evaluated individually because what one person is recommended to remove may be something someone else needs which would be determined by the HJT person being able to see all the other items in a log to see if any others that belong go with said particular item??

Did that make sense? :thumbsup:

. .))

#4 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2005 - 12:03 PM

Hi Gumdrop. I have never seen 2 infections that were exactly the same. If you haave an infection and simply look at another log and remove what they were told to do you might not be removing the proper files or all of the files pertaining to your infection so it doesn't do much good because the infection remains.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#5 Gumdrop

Gumdrop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2005 - 03:55 PM

Sorry to bump this, but wanted to acknowledge your answer and thank you for it, OldTimer.

. .))

#6 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2005 - 05:00 PM

Hi Gumdrop. Not a problem. Do you want to post a log for a review or are you all set?

Cheers.

OT
OldTimer

Posted Image

#7 Gumdrop

Gumdrop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2005 - 06:24 PM

I have one posted for a friend but haven't yet been able to get back with him to finish up your follow up recommendations. I'll be bumping that one within the next couple of days though.

Thank you much.

. .))

#8 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2005 - 11:45 PM

Hi Gumdrop. Ok, then I will close this topic.

OT
OldTimer

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users