Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware guard2008

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 phishy25

phishy25

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:31 AM

Yesteday my computer became infected with Spyware guard 2008.

I currently have AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy on my computer. I can't open Spybot and all. I can open AdAware but cannot connect to the network.

Google isn't working with any kind of keyword that has to do with malware, etc when I tried to google a solution to the problem. Instead it takes me to a third party ad site. I am unable to connect to certain websites that will aid me in the removal, like bleepingcomputer.com. I am accessing this website from my other computer. I tried to download malwarebytes.com anti-malware but it won't let me connect to the malware website to download the program. I just get a This Page Cannot Be Displayed message. I then tried to go to Download.com and download the program from there but when I click on download it takes me to the malwarebytes website and won't connect.

I am running Windows XP. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tehsplink

Tehsplink

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:06 AM

Please open your hosts file which can be found in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS and open it in notepad.

Remove any option that have 127.0.0.1 as the first bit and then a website name after.
If that doesn't work please try copying the file across and the updates file and using the steps below (except ignore the download bit and when it says update run the updates file which can be found at malwarebytes.org)

Please download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware to your desktop.

1.Ensure that your computer is connected to the internet and your software firewall is disabled until instructed to re-enable it.
2.Double click on the mbam-setup.exe to begin the installation process.
3.When the installation begins, please do not change any of the settings and follow the prompts.
4.Please make sure that when you finish the installation, these options remain checked;
5. *Update MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware
6. *Launch MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware
7.You may now click finish...
8.When MBAM launches, you will be prompted to update before running a scan. If an update is found, MBAM will automatically download and apply the updates and you can then click 'OK' button to close the box and continue. You may now re-enable your firewall
9.Please ensure that while you are on the scanner tab the 'Perform Quick Scan' option is selected, then click the 'Scan' button.
10.If you are asked which drives to scan, please leave all of them ticked, and click 'Start Scan'.
11.The scan will now begin and you will see “Scan in progress” at the top; It may take a while to complete so please be patient.
12.When the scan completes, you will see “The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found”
13.Click the 'OK' button to close the box and continue with the removal process.
14.Back on the main scanner screen, click 'Show Results' to see a list of any found Malware.
15.Ensure that all items are checked and then click the 'Remove Selected' button.
16.When the removal process is complete, a log will open in notepad; this log will be automatically saved and you can view it in the logs section of the program.
17.Copy and paste the contents of the log file that is open into your next reply and exit MBAM.

Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the Malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.
Please PM me if i have been assisting you and do not reply for 24 hours!

#3 phishy25

phishy25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:14 PM

Thank you for your help.

I was unable to modify the host file. It took me to a page with this message:

This file has been automatically generated for use by Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing. It contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names for the home network. Please do not make changes to the HOSTS.ICS file. Any changes may result in a loss if connectivity between machines on the local network.

However, for some reason I was able to finally download Malwarebytes. After I downloaded it I was unable to install. Everytime I clicked on it nothing would happen. I was able to get around it by adding .bat.

I installed the program and made sure the last two boxes were checked. Unfortunately it did not launch after set up. When I click on the program to open nothing happens. If I right click and open that way nothing happens as well.

What should I do next?

Edited by phishy25, 10 January 2009 - 11:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users