Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Starting all over

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 danthemandidit

danthemandidit

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:26 AM

Can someone please point me to a guide or explain to me how to completely wipe out everything on this computer and install a new copy of Windows XP? I used to know how, but have forgot. I don't have anything I want to save. Just want to wipe it clean and start over like a new computer.
Thanks, Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LAPTOP GAMER

LAPTOP GAMER

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:43 AM

I just did that today as I didn't have the most current updates and got a nasty virus and did a complete reinstall, and I switched fron FAT 32 to NTFS file system. It is pretty straight forward, just insert the oS disk and follow the screen instructions.

#3 danthemandidit

danthemandidit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:58 AM

I really wanted to just completely wipe everything out. I have done the re-install before and created a partition, I think, can't remember. This is a old compter with only 128 MB of RAM. I think, after reading a tutorial on it here, I should be using FAT 32. Is that right?

#4 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:33 AM

I really wanted to just completely wipe everything out. I have done the re-install before and created a partition, I think, can't remember. This is a old compter with only 128 MB of RAM. I think, after reading a tutorial on it here, I should be using FAT 32. Is that right?

Usually ntfs is suggested depending on the size of your hard disc.

Do you own a retail version of XP or is it OEM? Do you have the restore software for it if you do not have the XP disc?

#5 danthemandidit

danthemandidit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:39 AM

I have a retail Windows XP Professional.

#6 danthemandidit

danthemandidit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:44 AM

By the way, is my hard drive the C drive? It's only 12.6 GB

#7 LAPTOP GAMER

LAPTOP GAMER

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:52 AM

I would just get a much bigger hard drive being you're starting over anyway, as 12 gig could be one or two programs these days. :thumbsup:

Edited by LAPTOP GAMER, 07 January 2009 - 01:53 AM.

#8 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:55 AM

By the way, is my hard drive the C drive? It's only 12.6 GB

I do not know if your hard drive is the C: drive, but most likely it is. Is there any other drives in there as you may have more than one partition?

Use ntfs if it is Windows XP on a drive over 8GB.

Insert the disc in the drive, be sure to boot to the cd.

A lot of times the bios will already be set to boot to the cd before the hard drive. So insert the cd into the drive and you may see a "Press any key to boot to cd/dvd" if you see it then press any key and begin the setup.

If that does not show and it starts to boot windows you need to adjust the boot priority to boot to the disc first. The method of doing this is different per manufacturer but typically you will need to enter the bios and change the boot device priority or open up the boot selection menu. Be sure the machine will read the cd drive before the hard drive.

--- Once you get into the setup just follow the on-screen instructions. It really is not hard, and you can choose "quick" when formatting.

Refer here for more info:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316941
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsys...nstxpclean1.htm

Oh snap! I almost forgot, be SURE to get your network connection driver before you format if it is your only computer because you will not be able to get on the net and find your drivers if you do not do this beforehand.

Edited by lowtek_otc, 07 January 2009 - 01:57 AM.

#9 danthemandidit

danthemandidit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:00 AM

Thanks alot lowtek otc. It did give me "Cannot boot from disk- error number 5 "

#10 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:07 AM

Thanks alot lowtek otc. It did give me "Cannot boot from disk- error number 5 "

It is an original disc that was purchased in the store? If so, is it scratched or dirty?

#11 danthemandidit

danthemandidit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:24 AM

It's a purchased disk. I think my problem is, some time ago I tried to reinstall and it did not go all the way through. When I restart I have 2 choices, boot from Windows XP or boot from Windows XP Installation disk. But it won't let me boot from the disk there either.

#12 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:25 AM

I would suggest getting another bootable iso of some freeware, like avira rescue disc or memtest to make sure that your machine can boot properly to a disc.

#13 danthemandidit

danthemandidit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:27 AM

Anyway, I am going to have to mess with this thing tomorrow, getting late. Your link on the subject was very helpfull. Thanks again.

#14 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:39 AM

Oh snap! I almost forgot, be SURE to get your network connection driver before you format if it is your only computer because you will not be able to get on the net and find your drivers if you do not do this beforehand.

Xp doesn't install network connection driver?

I have been thinking of reformatting my drive too and did not know I would need to copy a driver for that. I thought XP would install all that kind of stuff. I have no clue where to even find that, can you tell me where that is located?

#15 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:43 AM

Xp doesn't install network connection driver?

I have been thinking of reformatting my drive too and did not know I would need to copy a driver for that. I thought XP would install all that kind of stuff. I have no clue where to even find that, can you tell me where that is located?

Please make your own thread and I will answer you there, that will make it easier for people using the search function and for other people to help you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users