Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do not understand MoBoard and CPU step ratings

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Smoky99

Smoky99

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:18 PM

Hi fellas...Am new here and have a question. I am doing an upgrade and I do not understand what the F2 step rating on my new Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-s2hp Rev 2.1 MoBoard and a G2 step rating on my new AMD Athlon64 X2 5000 Brisbane 2.6 Ghz 2X512KB cache CPU means.

Will they work OK together? I was guessing that the CPU G2 rating had higher ranking than the MoBoard's F2 rating and they would be compatible. But it is only a guess. Can some one help me? It is gratifying to find a forum that covers just about anything computer related.

Thanks, Smoky99

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:07 PM

Forget the step ratings...that's my suggestion. It's confusing and it's not standard data used by most when referring to processors and/or motherboards.

There are only a couple of things to remember.

a. Every motherboard has specs available so that a user can find out about it. The data is scattered/duplicated throughout the Web, including what CPUs it might take and what RAM modules it might be able to accommodate.

b. http://www.directron.com/gama78gms2hp.html The AM2/AM2+ indicates that the CPUs attached must be that type socket or they will not fit/function.

c. The processsor you have chosen...fits the bill, see CPU socket type at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103194

You are good :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:55 PM

Don't worry about the stepping, it will drive you crazy if you think about it too hard. What you should be interested in is what processors work with a particular motherboard. Usually, if it is a recent board, all you have to do is match sockets like AM2/AM2+. However, some motherboards don't always accept all processors within a socket so it is a good idea to go to the mobo vendors website to check which are supported. BTW, where are you getting that Brisbane processor? Newegg has deactivated it. They still do have a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ though.

3939.png

#4 Smoky99

Smoky99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:37 PM

Don't worry about the stepping, it will drive you crazy if you think about it too hard. What you should be interested in is what processors work with a particular motherboard. Usually, if it is a recent board, all you have to do is match sockets like AM2/AM2+. However, some motherboards don't always accept all processors within a socket so it is a good idea to go to the mobo vendors website to check which are supported. BTW, where are you getting that Brisbane processor? Newegg has deactivated it. They still do have a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ though.

Thanks Louis and DJBpace07 for the reply. I got the CPU from Newegg for less than $50. There are plenty of this CPU model around at a higher price. Searching the web all day today I found is that they discontinued the Windsor which drew 89 watts.
The Brisbane is the exact same architecture and draws 65 watts. I also read today that the Brisbane is not as efficient as the old Windsor and there is talk of resurrecting the 89 watt Windsor model.
My motherboard should be delivered in several days and I have to provide the bios number when I contact Gigabyte regarding the Brisbane rev G2 versus the discontinued Windsor with the F3 step for their motherboard that I am using.
I am starting to also feel that the Brisbane should work for me as I am not into gaming at all. I will be using a new 24 pin 400 watt power supply and a Seagate SATA 250 Gig single hard drive plus a CD Rom and a DVD burner as there is only room for two IDE add-ons and 4 gig of Kingston DDR2-800 memory. The Ga-ma78gm-s2hp motherboard rear panel has HDMI, DVI, VGA, plenty of USB ports, optical out and 7.1 audio plus the usual standards.

Thanks again, guys

Smoky99

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:21 PM

<<...as there is only room for two IDE add-ons...>>

If you have the need or desire to install more IDE/PATA components, you can always install a PCI controller card and connect/install them via it. It has a separate BIOS and controllers of its own and are readily available.

But...SATA drives are faster :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users