Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus eating up my memory (?)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 whatlol

whatlol

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:37 PM

Hello,

last night my sister noticed that she can't save anymore files because the computer kept saying "Scratch disk full", but I said that's impossible because the night before there was still 8GB left in the hard drive. So when I checked it was down to 1GB. So we started deleting files and programs and managed to get up to 3GB free space.

But after five minutes of doing nothing, the memory went down to 600MB free space.

I started thinking it was a virus so I ran combofix (Sorry if I ran it... My friend told me to do so after my mom's laptop got infected with a worm so I decided it could work)

So after running combofix, my free space went up to 14GB ad I thought the problem was over...

But checking after around ten minutes, the free space went down to 7GB and then after a while went down to 600MB again.

Right now the free space is 7GB. The variability leads me to think it's something fishy. But I think combofix should have done something...

Details:
1.) I get a message every time I start the computer that "Cannot start application because ConnAPI.DDL is missing."
2.) My computer has two drives, C and D. So far only C has been affected by the variable free space.
3.) Drive C has a total size of 29.2GB.
4.) I run avast! antivirus and it's current version of virus database is 090106-1, 01/06. Resident protection is on high
5.) I run on Windows XP professional 2002 Service Pack two and on an AMD Sempron processor 2066+ at 1.60GHz with 448MB of RAM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Tehsplink

Tehsplink

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:41 AM

Please download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware to your desktop.

1.Ensure that your computer is connected to the internet and your software firewall is disabled until instructed to re-enable it.
2.Double click on the mbam-setup.exe to begin the installation process.
3.When the installation begins, please do not change any of the settings and follow the prompts.
4.Please make sure that when you finish the installation, these options remain checked;
5. *Update MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware
6. *Launch MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware
7.You may now click finish...
8.When MBAM launches, you will be prompted to update before running a scan. If an update is found, MBAM will automatically download and apply the updates and you can then click 'OK' button to close the box and continue. You may now re-enable your firewall
9.Please ensure that while you are on the scanner tab the 'Perform Quick Scan' option is selected, then click the 'Scan' button.
10.If you are asked which drives to scan, please leave all of them ticked, and click 'Start Scan'.
11.The scan will now begin and you will see “Scan in progress” at the top; It may take a while to complete so please be patient.
12.When the scan completes, you will see “The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found”
13.Click the 'OK' button to close the box and continue with the removal process.
14.Back on the main scanner screen, click 'Show Results' to see a list of any found Malware.
15.Ensure that all items are checked and then click the 'Remove Selected' button.
16.When the removal process is complete, a log will open in notepad; this log will be automatically saved and you can view it in the logs section of the program.
17.Copy and paste the contents of the log file that is open into your next reply and exit MBAM.

Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the Malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.
Please PM me if i have been assisting you and do not reply for 24 hours!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users