Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

There's so many :O

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 miansc

miansc

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:21 PM

Hi guys,
Just a quick question. For each category, Spyware, Malware, Trojans etc... which is the best to stop all these. Or is there a general good program like Mcafee that protects you from all of these? I don't mind downloading individual programs for each of these categories.

As stated in this thread there are many different programs. Which is the best? Most efficient?

Thanks.

Edited by miansc, 06 January 2009 - 10:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kandinsky

Kandinsky

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:42 PM

nothing is 100% really.... there are new nasties written all the time to bypass security programs and sometimes the security program people are just catching up how to get rid of them. Some programs protect against one new nasty sooner, then later it might be another company that catches the newest one.

You can do a google search for independent antivirus and firewall tests and reveiws where they compare several at a time. I'm looking at a new antivirus NOD32 as a possibility, it got good ratings and a friend of mine recommended it, although I haven't tryed it yet. I think Avast is good, it takes a little while to figure out the interface, but it's worth the effort. I like Zone Alarm as a firewall, but I'm not sure about their antivirus... Personally I like Avast much better than Norton.

Antispyware, you can have several on your computer and just set most of them so they;re not running all the time or updating automatically. Then you can just use them manually once in while to scan and clean stuff out if you have problems or whatever.

#3 miansc

miansc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:57 AM

Beauty, all I need now is a good firewall. But, I understand what your saying about them catching up on new threats etc... Thanks for a great reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users