Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

has anyone tryed NOD32 antivirus?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kandinsky

Kandinsky

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:19 PM

and if so how do you like it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:17 AM

I highly recommend it. I'm using it with ESET Smart Security. It's really fast, effective, has the ThreatSense technology (the best advanced heuristic capabilities), easy to use and what I like the most I think, is that it uses very little system resources. You won't even notice it. It takes me only 10 minutes to scan my entire system. Sometimes less.

Edited by karbo1, 07 January 2009 - 12:16 PM.

Please post back if we found the solution

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:46 PM

Using Eset NOD32 version 3 antiVirus. Good & solid. One of the best. Fast, quiet, you can set your clock by the updates.
There are hints how to setup at the Wilderssecurity.com site. Official support site. Blackspear settings posts are very useful.

I don't know about a 10 minute scan, mine takes much longer but such comparison is totally meaningless without knowing the number of files and directories actually scanned, as well as which of the several scans depths was taken. It takes whatever it needs to take if one really insists on scans :thumbsup: When on-access, on-read, on-write, on-everything is enabled, the computer scan is not really all that important in my opinion other than the little system scan when you boot.

It should not matter how WE like it. You need to uninstall whatever AV you now have (true for all AV products really). Install NOD, , read the helps, set it up and run with it. See how it works in your system and for your internet preferences and use. They have a trial, you have nothing to lose other than the time to make sure you start with a clean system as not to cause yourself any problems in the future.

Edited by tos226, 07 January 2009 - 09:50 PM.

#4 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:21 PM

The time matters to me. If it took an hour each time, I wouldn't scan as often! :thumbsup: My old McAfee, a few years back, took ages to scan. I would never complete it. NOD32 is known to be fast and reliable. It adapts to your system so your next scans take less time.

#5 Kandinsky

Kandinsky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:49 PM

I tried to download both NOD32 and zone alarm security suite and wasn't able to, so couldn't compare them. So... I decided not to go with NOD and bought ZASS instead. Looks like they're both good. I really like ZA's firewall and they just switched to Kapersky as a partner for antivirus. Seems like ZA AV has a few bugs still, but they just switched and I think they'll figure them out. The reviews say the suite is as configurable as the firewall, which I like. I guess others would not like it for that reason- takes a while to figure out. But I like CONTROL... lol

I'm not too concerned about slow scans- I do them manually. I guess NOD has better reviews for detection but not removal.

Edited by Kandinsky, 08 January 2009 - 12:02 AM.

#6 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:54 AM

I bought Nod32,Antivirus, and it scans more files, than other Antivirus programs I have had. It let xpAntivirus 2008, past in a Codec.
Not knocking the program, as I can't say if other Antivirus Programs, would have caught it, under the same circumstances.
Other than that one instance, I am happy with Nod32. Anything from ESET, is normally very good.
My scan time for 382,000 files is 20 mins,so I am happy with the time, considering the number of Files. :thumbsup:

#7 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:57 AM

I tried to download both NOD32 and zone alarm security suite and wasn't able to, so couldn't compare them. So... I decided not to go with NOD and bought ZASS instead. Looks like they're both good. I really like ZA's firewall and they just switched to Kapersky as a partner for antivirus. Seems like ZA AV has a few bugs still, but they just switched and I think they'll figure them out. The reviews say the suite is as configurable as the firewall, which I like. I guess others would not like it for that reason- takes a while to figure out. But I like CONTROL... lol

I'm not too concerned about slow scans- I do them manually. I guess NOD has better reviews for detection but not removal.

You could try the whole suite, ESET Smart Security. It contains NOD32 antivirus + firewall + antispyware + antispam. It works great for me.

Edited by karbo1, 08 January 2009 - 08:58 AM.

#8 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:20 AM

I don't know about a 10 minute scan, mine takes much longer but such comparison is totally meaningless without knowing the number of files and directories actually scanned, as well as which of the several scans depths was taken. It takes whatever it needs to take if one really insists on scans :thumbsup: When on-access, on-read, on-write, on-everything is enabled, the computer scan is not really all that important in my opinion other than the little system scan when you boot.

I know it does depend on the number of files being scanned but when I scanned my system with Kaspersky, it took twice that time! And Kaspersky is a good product no doubt.

#9 Kandinsky

Kandinsky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:26 AM

thanks Karbo, maybe I will next time, but already ordered. I've been using the free zone alarm firewall for years and I'm happy to support them. Looks like it should work. I'm begining to think a firewall is more important for prevention & have always liked theirs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users