Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cmd.exe is in use by another application

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lewminous

lewminous

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:00 PM

Hello. I am also trying to update my computer. Our computer had been very sluggish for a very long time, so my mom decided to do a system recovery on it. All of the programs are on the computer still but aren't accessible because from what I gather we have to reinstall the updates on the computer. When I try to install the udpates While "performing inventory check" I get the following message everytime: the file c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe is open or in use by another application. I have no idea what could be the issue because I have nothing else on at the time. Anyone? Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:59 PM

Hi, Lewminous :thumbsup:.

Rather than tag onto this post, which is really about updating critical updates to XP...I suggest that you just start a new post about your situation.

In that post, it will help a great deal if you tell us:

a. Manufacturer and model of the system.

b. Procedures used to do the recovery.

c. Current SP level on the system.

I believe that your issue is one with WinUpdate and from what I see...it's probably going to take some digging to figure out what is happening and why.

Louis

#3 lewminous

lewminous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:53 PM

Ok will do. Thanks. As you can see I just discovered this place yesterday. I'll have to wait til I get home to post the info.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:46 PM

No problem, we will be here :thumbsup:. Thanks!

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users