Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questionable Solution

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:24 PM

I was talking to a HP representative, and with their ingenious design on this particular laptop, I cannot get to the heatsink without damaging something.

So I asked what would be my options without having to put the laptop in a repair shop or to have them repair it.

Firstly they recommended a BIOS update. I figured, what could it hurt and updated it, no change.

Then they recommended a vacuum to pull the dust out. Isn't this a great way to damage something? I just wanted to ask the question to see what other people think before I try it.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:35 PM

I know some use vacuums. But they [vacuums] have a resident static charge building almost always.

I would not do it. Compressed air is the general recommended method.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:37 PM

Yes this is what I thought as well, however, I was thinking over the vacuum method, I would be using it over the plastic casing to suck out the dust, it would not come in contact with the motherboard or any of the components. Now, I do not know how well plastic conducts but it sounds do-able.

What do you think?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:38 PM

With the way most laptops are designed, directing the compressed air nozzle in the vent (both directions) will usually be suficient
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:42 PM

I have a small vac I set down a couple feet away when using compressed.

I never touch any case with a vac hose.

/Edit: Some plastics will produce and conduct a static charge.

Edited by KoanYorel, 06 January 2009 - 09:49 PM.

#6 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:16 PM

What if I set the vacuum to blow and not touch the casing at all?

Yes I know I'm trying to put off getting more compressed air =P

#7 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:20 PM

I can't honestly say. I've never used the blowing method. But something tells me there are going to be problems.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:08 PM

What if I set the vacuum to blow and not touch the casing at all?

How clean is the vacuum and filter? You run the risk of blowing crap into it
Maybe stick an old nylon over the nozzle
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:43 PM

Well acually its my sisters fluff dryer (shes a dog groomer) So theres nothing in it at all and I can turn off the heat so that shouldent be a problem.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:06 PM

Lung power works better.
Pump up an old bicycle inner tube, remove the valve and let it rip.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:17 PM

Well I've tried the lung power to no avail, I tried the fluff drier idea too and that definitly blew, I heard the fans spin is was blowing pretty hard.

However I am still running about 60-65C on idle, I'm starting to think that my first AMD is a bad experience.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:26 PM

Well...I don't think it's AMD, so much as the inherent design flaws of laptops.

If it was desktop, you could just remove the heatsink...put a new spot of thermal grease on it, replace the heatsink/fan and be sure that this is NOT the problem.

You could also change the number of fans, type of cooling, etc.

My understanding has always been that laptops generally run hot...for these and inadequate ventilation that is provided. I could be wrong...

Louis

#13 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:54 PM

Well it stays on the desk so I guess you could say that is inadiquit ventalation.

Im trying to get a can of compressed air with one of the straws so I can get right up in the heat sink and we will see how that goes.

Then again, i've been logging all my temps with SpeedFan and I hear its pretty untrustworthy. Is there any programs that you recomend?

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:00 PM

I've heard good things (from a source I consider reliable) about Core Temp - http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

I don't monitor my temps but I used to...and became quickly convinced that Motherboard Monitor and Speedfan were not necessarily to be relied upon.

I just check the BIOS temp reading when I have any concerns.

Louis

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:33 PM

Blowing as system out with compressed air will fix some, but not all problems with overheating.
Blow it out through the exit ports, and then blow it out through the fan intake port - then do it again.
If there's a lot of gunk in there it may not remove it all - so try it a couple of times before giving up on it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users