Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't update Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 muddflapp

muddflapp

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:40 PM

I need some help please. I am unable to update my windows XP in any form. The automatic update link has been redirected to the MSN home page. If I go to windows.com, none of the links work there for me either. I get an Internet error stating that the web page can't be found. This is one of the redirects I get when I do a windows update. www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&pver=6&ar=msnhome. I am not a real computer person so I hope I am posting this in the correct place. If this needs to be in another, could some one inform me and tell me how to do the log thing I have been reading about in the Hijack portion.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:55 PM

I'd suggest trying the advice in this post first: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/usas...?showentry=1252
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 muddflapp

muddflapp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:13 PM

I have tried a couple of the virus scans and it shows no virus. This is happening to 2 computers that our on our network. Also a friend brought his computer and accessed the internet through our wireless internet and it is now happening to his computer. We disconected from the internet and loaded a virus program and then scaned. Showed nothing. When we hooked back up to the internet it still would not let us update. Any thoughts?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:19 PM

Did your friend go back home and test it again there? If it worked again at their home, then I'd suspect either your wireless router, your modem, or your ISP (or the cables in between each).

Check the cables first (as they're the cheapest). Contact the ISP and ask them to check the line from their office (that'll get them into your modem most times).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 muddflapp

muddflapp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:27 PM

when he left here, he wasnt redirected to other sites when he did google searches anymore, but he is still unable to do any updates with windows update links or do any downloads that use internet explorer....I did create a hijack this log but I don't really know what or where I need to post it so it will be useful to you.

#6 Kandinsky

Kandinsky

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:21 AM

do you have an asus (AMD) motherboard on your computer? Microsoft didn't allow computers with asus MB's to download by auto update for a while, and I think that still may be true. I have an asus MB and I get a redirect as well. The problem is that with SOME, not all asus MB's there is a problem with the sp3 and sometimes the sp2 updates- causes a computer to reboot constantly.

The problem was caused by HP and some other computer companies copying their windows CD's wrong. You can find out what your motherboard is by downloading & installing the program "Everest Home" from a safe site like cnet downloads or softpedia. Then run it and select "computer" on the left hand list and click "summary" on the right hand. It will give you a list of all the hardware in your computer.

If you read carefully you might be able to decide if you need the fix posted here;
https://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/arc...ing-xp-sp3.aspx
Or if you are not positive you need that you should call the company that made the CD your computer came with or boots from and ask them how to handle the problem.

also check this;
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/146857/windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3-information/

Edited by Kandinsky, 08 January 2009 - 02:32 AM.

#7 Kandinsky

Kandinsky

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:32 AM

oops... What I posted is probley wrong. I had to call microsoft about an order and asked the person taking the order about that problem. He said it shouldn't be doing that and that he had an asus MB and didn't have that problem.

I have or had a virus that was hard for several AV's to find. You might want to write to a microsoft forum if you can't find the answer here and double check that.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:24 AM

Re Hijack This Logs: Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users