Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Please. Computer Crash

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wwjd101

wwjd101

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:13 PM

Hello everyone,
I'm completely new to this website. I have been having serious problems with my computer for about 6 months now. Its been randomly restarting itself. At first i just thought that it was a virus or some type of spy ware so i ran all kinds of virus and spy ware programs and i came up completely blank. So i then did a system restore and after the restore its fine for about a month. Due to the system restore I've personally ruled out a hardware problem so im still thinking its a virus or spyware? I recently wandered if my operating system had a currupted file or something so i deleted the partition and reloaded the operating system. Thus its been about a month since i've done that and today it started up again. So i dont know what to do. Ive looked at my event logs and it doesnt even show up there because it happens so abruptly so i dont know what to do now. If anyone has any oppion on this or a fix it would be greatly appreciated. I will place basic specs below if any other info is needed please ask i will be greatful to give any info needed.

Gateway GT5628
Windows Vista Home Premium
3 GB Memory
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600@2.40 GHZ-2.39 GHZ
NVIDIA Ge Force 8500GT

No Changes have been made its completely the way it came from the factory. Again any help would be great and if you'd like anymore info please just ask

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:23 PM

No Changes have been made its completely the way it came from the factory.

So you havnt installed anything at all since you recovered it a month ago?
there may be a driver or something conflicting without throwing up a bsod

and one more question, what do you have in the way of antivirus?
it could be a site you frequent that has a parasite associated with it

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:00 AM

It's also possible that this is a driver issue - and that Windows Updates may not be compatible with it. I'd check all the drivers (at the Gateway site) to see if any have been revised/released in the last 6 to 8 months.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 wwjd101

wwjd101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:32 PM

No i have not installed anything other than basic things like internet explorer and microsoft word and things like that. I have Norton antivirus, also have avast antivirus because someone online recommended it and i use spybot search and destroy.

#5 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:25 AM

If you have activated resident parts of all those 3 programs that could create problems. You should use only 1 resident AV/Antispyware program, can supplement with 10 others as long as they dont conflict.

At least for troubleshooting purposes get rid of one. You can ask Norton Support site or forum which to delete, or you can go to Avast site, see Knowledgebase about "avast! and other antivirus applications" :huh: If you decide to say goodbye to Norton then notice their tool for removal http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039 I would run that after doing manual uninstall.

Dont know what type of Norton package you have but they dont recommend using Windows Defender and Windows Firewall if they have simular stuff installed. If you install new NIS 2009 it automatically disable both. Only disable Windows Firewall if there is another to replace of course.

Untick "Autmatically restart" in Control Panel, System, Advanced system settings, Startup and Recovery. That way Windows might give a hint as to what trigger crash.

Other drivers you have updated according to Gateways advice for your model?, also the perhaps many extra utilities they install? Be a sheep and install exactly what they suggest.

Not sure how you have ruled out hardware - return to that if crashes continues. If you have to get in contact with Gateway then probably easier if you have done everything by the book. 2 AVs is like the opposite :huh:

Edited by Bambo, 09 January 2009 - 11:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users