Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Drives-- How do I tell if they're infected?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Funkadelic73

Funkadelic73

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:38 PM

Is there an easy way to tell if a USB drive is infected with a virus and/or malware? I'm afraid to plug them in again after passing malware from one PC to another, but is it really just a matter of plugging in and scanning with antivirus software/Spybot/MBAM?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:29 PM

That will be the only way to know for sure. Try all mentioned scans. Make sure the computer that scans them is up to date with Windows updates / java / adobe products / other browsers. Make sure you have a good firewall in place well.

One other scan you should run:
Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well. Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that is plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:44 PM

Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that is plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection.

almost every flash drive virus i have encountered creates a hidden folder with autorun.. I guess this will hold out against being overwritten?:flowers:

flash drive viruses have to be the worst.. you have to plug it in to get rid of the virus :thumbsup:

Edited by Tomo2, 06 January 2009 - 08:45 PM.

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#4 Funkadelic73

Funkadelic73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:51 PM

Is it okay to just format a USB drive to be safe? I think the one I got for Christmas actually had the virus ON it!

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:07 PM

Sure :thumbsup:

It still wouldn't hurt to scan it after formatting. Some drives seem to have two separate partitions - one for your use - one for there extras.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users