Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows cannot find ixplore.exe

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 joshag

joshag

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:55 PM

When windows shortcut or main exe in program folder is launched I get the same message "windows cannot open c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe.

I have tried virus scanners and spyware removal tools with no success.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:30 PM

Try a reinstall of IE 6 or & whichever you have there.

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;318378
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 joshag

joshag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:03 PM

I am using xp w/ sp3 ie7. I have tried to reinstall explorer several times but no joy. Windows will not allow me to install ie6 because it knows 7 has been there and will not downgrade.

Thank you for the link but unfortunately I have read it and it does not cover my problem.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,199 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:32 PM

Have you treid... to Install IE7 then use these mothods to remove it.

When you uninstall Windows Internet Explorer 7, Internet Explorer 6 is automatically restored on your computer. This article describes how to confirm that Windows Internet Explorer 6 is restored properly.

There are two methods for uninstalling Windows Internet Explorer 7:
Method 1: Use Add or Remove Programs
Method 2: Use Spuninst.exe
Start with the first method. If it does not work, try the second method.

This article is intended for a beginning to intermediate computer user.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 joshag

joshag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:15 PM

No luck, still same error but thanks.
Also very odd. I have never tried to do this before but I cannot remove the iexplore exe. If deleted it will reappear almost instantly. Is this supposed to happen?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,199 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:19 PM

This program is your Internet Explorer.
Determining whether iexplore.exe is a virus or a legitimate Windows process depends on the directory location it executes or runs from.

The legitimate iexplore.exe should not be disabled,it's required for essential applications to work properly.

This program will be your Internet Explorer folder, which will be located in your program files folder.

Are you certain the PC is malware free?

#7 joshag

joshag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:27 AM

Problem solved. This issue occured on a computer rebuild after a hard drive crash. I systematically went back and checked every tool or utility that I had installed since Windows was reloaded.

The problem was with Registry Mechanic V8. I chose to "optmize" my system and this essentially caused problems with IE reg settings.

Although I do not favor IE it is a necessary evil when updating or downloading MS patches and updates.

I would like to thank all who offered their help and suggestions to help resolve this problem. I would also like to warn (obvious) about anyone using RM 8 or any similar product altering registry settings.

Thank you,

John

Edited by joshag, 12 January 2009 - 09:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users