Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell usb keyboard/mouse problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kickehy

kickehy

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:08 PM

Just a second to vent: I hate dell for only putting usb slots on their motherboards. Now, here's a weird situation and maybe I'm just missing something simple: I have a dell dimension 9150 that I'm trying to work on; the computer boots into windows just fine, and it detects the keyboard and mouse (both USB) but can't install them. The reason it won't install them is because the computer is trying to install the "Generic Plug and Play Monitor" first. Oh yes, this is XP by the way. I've tried booting into safe mode and enable vga mode, but same thing. I've tried unplugging the monitor and booting the computer up and then plugging the monitor in, but it still does it. I'm baffled. Any ideas?

I should also mention that the keyboard does work for the BIOS and such, just when you try to get into windows.

Edited by kickehy, 06 January 2009 - 04:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:28 PM

If you can give us an error message...it would be helpful.

Louis

#3 kickehy

kickehy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:31 PM

The only thing that comes up is the device installation screen, which requires you to click on 'next' (for the generic plug and play monitor)....it's not really an error

#4 kickehy

kickehy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:08 AM

Well, as a last ditch effort I did a repair install of XP and that allowed me to use them. So there you all go :thumbsup:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:07 PM

Thanks for providing your resolution, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users