Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista running and running

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 chasgallo

chasgallo

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:53 PM

I bought a new HP pavillion in September. I have had to restore Vista 2 times.
Now it appears a thrid time. The light next to the power on buttom does not stop blinking. I have access to everything, but everything runs real slow.
I can not run all my virus stuff, because it takes forever to complete, though I managed some quick scans. Have not found any viruses with all the tools. I have installed all the virus tools downlaoded from this site. Ad Aware, spyware, etc...
I know this message is all over the board, but is this a common thing? Is Vista that unstable?

The past two times this has happened I have run the system restore from the start menu and it did take care of it.
Again. my computer just keeps running something with the light blinking, but I have no idea what it is. Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:52 PM

The light next to the power on buttom does not stop blinking

That might indicate some power problems

bought a new HP pavillion in September

It's still under warranty, What does HP say?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:54 AM

The light next to the power button? You mean the Hard Drive activity light?

That means that you are getting hard drive chatter. Don't blame vista for that.

One thing nice in Vista that I think you will like is if you open task manager, click the performance tab, then press the resource monitor button, you can see what applications are using the hard disk.

#4 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:09 AM

The light next to the power button? You mean the Hard Drive activity light?

It is no big deal at all. This does not indicate a problem at all.

It is just like the activity light on a desktop computer. There are usually two lights on the desktop tower...one is power, the other is hard drive/registry writing. This especially exists when you are running more than one application.

#5 chasgallo

chasgallo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:03 AM

I spent 5 hours with HP support last night on the phone, and after eliminating all programs at start up, doing a system restore, I finally received a ticket number to bring it in To Best Buy for complete hardware diagnostics. We ran all the quick diagnostic tests and they all passed, but the system creeps. Running very slow, and that light continues to blink rapidly.
New things that developed, was that with every reboot, I am now getting a safely remove hardware icon in the task bar, and it shows that I have 2 USB devices in, then I have to click on them to remove them, but of course they are not in the ports. I had done a data backup with a flash drive a few days ago, since then it keeps appearing even with the flash drive out, and use the ports for my ipod. Thats when I finally got HP to give me the ticket number.

Anyone every hear about the safely remove hardware icon appearing (when no devices are there), and / or any and all feedback is always appreciated.

#6 chasgallo

chasgallo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:19 AM

All last night with HP, it took a very long time for system to shut down / reboot and restart.....Just did one now, and it took like one minute, in place of the 10 minutes (literally) each time last night.

The only wierd issue is that safely remove hardware icon that showed up again, saying I had 2 USB devices in? The light under the power button button is normal down, just a few blinks here and there.

#7 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:30 PM

A glitch from HP. No computer maker is perfect. To help you solve this problem, you would have to modify the registry to get rid of the two entries alert. BleepingComputer.com policy states to not give registry instruction without prior staff approval.

I know the two entries in the registry, but if a member of staff knows as well and would like to state it, then please help me now. Otherwise, those false errors about Safely Remove Hardware are going to be there.

Now I would recommend that you go to HP catalog online and order RAM (memory) to help speed up your computer. I would recommend at least 1 GB. 1 GB RAM is now fairly inexpensive. If you have enough RAM (over 1 GB), and this is not the issue, then I would recommend you solve the slowness problem here: Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:51 PM

Registry edits are dangerous and can cause a system to become unresponsive (ie - not boot).
We do discourage random registry editing, especially without advising the user to make a backup.

Since you know the entries in the registry that cause this, would you care to provide the location of them? Do you have any reference to support this, or is it a discovery that you made on your own?

If you're unsure about the registry edit, you can PM a mod with the information and let them have a look at it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:32 PM

I just found information that those are hot-plug devices. This means that the device can be easily unplugged from the system. This is actually no longer an issue, and a registry edit isn't needed. However if you would still like a registry edit done for the device to remove its notification from the system tray, you will need to supply the name of each device listed so the proper information can be listed. Other than that, it is just a performance issue.

#10 chasgallo

chasgallo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:45 PM

I just want to thank everyone for their input and suggestions. I have always come to this site when in dire need, and have always received useful input. Thanks to everyone again!

#11 chasgallo

chasgallo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:50 PM

One more question....

This is some advice I received from another site regarding the USB - safely remove hardware question.

Fire up Device manager and delete any devices bearing a yellow Question mark.
Reboot

I did go to device manager and both USB devices do have the yellow question mark?

Should I delete them? Anyone familiar with this advice?

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:03 PM

The advice to delete them presumes that Windows will pick them up and identify them correctly. This works sometimes, and others it does not. I don't see any harm in doing it - but you don't need to reboot. After deleting the devices, just right click on My Computer and select "Scan for hardware changes"
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:00 PM

Very good note chasqallo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users