Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power supply.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ktseymour

ktseymour

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:15 PM

I have an Issue I was in the process of solving and thought I'd try a forum :thumbsup: . I have an old PC Power & Cooling T510 unit that gets very warm when not in use, but cools back down when in use.

The thing that kinda stumps me is, prior to this I had an old CyberPower battery backup unit hooked up to a Enermax PSU on the same unit, when suddenly the BB unit started to beep and tried to trip the circuit protection, but for some reason failed. So thinnking the BB unit was faulty I disconected it and plugged in directly to the wall.

Prior to this incident the Enermax unit served me well for about 1.5/2 yrs with a different setup. . So I continued using the Enermax with my new Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H and, boom,pow smoke and sparks come flying out of the PSU. This is all in about a half hour to an hour window for the Enermax unit.

This is were I come to the PC&P unit I installed as a replacement for the Enermax unit. I don't know if it's coincidence as the PC unit is now scrap after about a week/ week and a half, I did check the socket for damage and shorts, none to be found. Anyone have thoughts on this

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ktseymour

ktseymour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:58 PM

Nobody, has any ideas?

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

An ATX PSU supplies power with the system off (mine pulls 4 watts when off). Since the PSU fan isn't running when the system is off, maybe heat is/was building up in the MOSFETS/VRs of the PSU.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 ktseymour

ktseymour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:30 PM

Is this normal for a power supply to get warm or hot to the touch when not in use? I'm not sure if it's coincidence but, I now have two PSU'S I have to RMA, could some bad wiring on the part of the board maker cause something like this? I see no way the board could be grounded wrong, I double checked it today. So I'm not sure why all of a sudden I have two bricked PSU'S in a two to three week time span? Thanks for posting dpunisher.

Edited by ktseymour, 06 January 2009 - 08:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users