Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

REDIRECTED TO THIS FORUM FROM HJT FOR NON BOOTING LAPTOP

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 anamika29501

anamika29501

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:01 PM

Hello,
pls see the earlier post for which I had come to BC.Trojan-Spy.HTML.Fraud.gen/Win32 brontok.q.

As it has now become a different problem from what it started out with my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop,I've been asked to post here

CHRONOLOGY OF EVENTS

Pls refer to my earlier post for detailed description as i've just put below a synopsis of whatever has transpired so far to put it into context

To start with I suspected slow performance and infection.

Installed Ad Aware and spybot

Frequent crashes after installing Ad Aware and spybot.

Brontok picked up by Spybot and deleted

After uninstalling Adaware,problems continued

Norton and Windows updates not getting installed

Norton security uninstalled by Symantec for reinstallation unsuccessfully

Spybot detected 3 entries of Win32 brontok.q,and deleted atleast one before system crashed again

With no antivirus protection,turned Windows defender and firewall on

Booted in safe mode and posted in Hijack forum with logs and Kaspersky reports which detected threat of
TrojanSpy.HTML.Fraud.gen

Before i could hear from HJT forum,laptop stopped booting citing error message of Windows hal.dll file missing.

Was advised by Panda at HJT to try a number of rescue attempts including

-booting and doing a repair using Recovery console.

-bootcfg did not work but chkdsk identified bad sectors,repaired it

-booting problems continued with same error of file missing

-Used Knoppix to access harddrive.Could copy only some data using internet browser on Knoppix

-Knoppix stopped booting

-Finally could boot with Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset\erd50.iso yesterday and backed up all data to external
hard drive

Thus I've come with this problem for help with getting my laptop to boot again so that I can then get back to clearing the infecion that was last spotted.Dunno know if it a case of infections having corrupted hard drive leading to booting problems or vice versa.

I would appreciate all help to see if we can get my laptop to a working state again.

PS:When I used Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset\erd50.iso to boot,i'm able to see that all the applications and files are intact.Can the same tool be used to repair the errrors also?

Cheers and regards
Sudha

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:57 PM

With all of the problems you have had and with the hal.dll missing, It is time to seriously consider reinstalling the OS
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 anamika29501

anamika29501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:37 PM

Hello
Thanks for looking into this.Now that my data has been backed up I don't 've an issue reinstalling the Windows OS again.Tell me how to go about it?As my Dell laptop came preloaded with the OS,I don't 've an installation CD.Can I use the Recovery console CD that I had created earlier to do he repair?Will that be sufficient?
Also,can you advise me as to whether I can change the OS from XP to Vista?Is it advisable/worth to do that or does that entail more problems?
Can you clarify pls?
Cheers and regards
sudha

Edited by anamika29501, 06 January 2009 - 08:56 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:53 PM

can you advise me as to whether I can change the OS from XP to Vista?Is it advisable/worth to do that

No it will not

These instructions will restore it to the day it left the factory
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...toggle=&dl=

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...lang=en&cs=

request recovery cd's

https://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...n/backupcd_form
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 anamika29501

anamika29501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:35 PM

Hi
I tried Dell factory restore by pressing Ctrl and F11 as outlined in the Dell restore(your first link).But nothing happens and it takes me straight to the windows hal.dll error message. :thumbsup:
The second link is not possible because it is only after booting that the option of rolling back the drivers is possible.
For the 3rd option,I had already requested for back up CD's from Dell support right after the first time my laptop crashed.They are still sending it!!!!
What are the other options?
Thanks and regards
Sudha

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:04 PM

Have you tried the FIXMBR and FIXBOOT commands in the Recovery Console?
Have you run a bootable hard drive diagnostic utility available from the manufacturer of your hard drive?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 anamika29501

anamika29501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:29 PM

Hello Usasma,

-Yes,when we were trying to use the recovery console to do the repair of Windows XP,I did do the fixmbr.
fixbmr did not sort it out..
-fixboot said that a new boot has been created successfuly but on restart the error continues

-so,tried bootcfg/rebuild which said that chkdsk needs to be performed as hard drive errors are preventg booting up..so typed chkdsk..it checked and said that it has detected and fixed errors..so,i typed exit..but rebooting is led to the same error message of <Windows root>\system 32\hal.dll " missing.....

Before contacting DELL ,i was reading up on their website.I had then run the inbuilt diagnostic utility in Dell.
Of the various tests on the disk(Confidence test,Device self test,Read t,Seek test,SMART test,Start unit command,Stop unit command and Verify test.)
All the tests it said passed except the read test and verify test.Had noted them down in case someone asked for it. :thumbsup:
Here goes

The following errors came up:

Error code : 0F00 :136 C
Message:IDE device failed.Blank /no media is present.Test requires mdia with digital data

Error code : 0F00 :0245

Error code : 0F00 :0244
Message: Block:Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

Error code : 0F00 : 0245
Block:39206784 Ultra DMA CRC error detected

Error code : 0F00 :0245

Error code : 0F00 :0248

Error code : 0F00 :0231

Error code : 0F00 :0231

Block:101094529 Target drive aborted the command

Error code : 0F00 :1A44
Message: Block:3492232: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

So what happens now?

PS:
when i had booted using the ERD Commander(Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset) to back up data,I had gone into Administrative tools and looked up the drives.It showed around 6 partitions on Disk 0(basic 55.89 GB)
128.00(unallocated)
128.00(healthy)
222.10(healthy)
53.16 Unknown T Healthy(Active)
52.88 GB (unallocated)
2.88 GB Unkown(Not healthy)

What does it mean?

Is there still scope to use the healthy drives or is my had drive a goner? :flowers:

waiting to hear the verdict
Cheers and regards
sudha

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:57 PM

I'm not familiar with the Dell tests - I'd suggest running a bootable diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive.
There's links to the most common ones here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 anamika29501

anamika29501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:41 PM

I could not find any related to Dell speifically.
The info that I've about my hard disk is this
IDE DISK S/N =WD-WXE205222241

so,will using any of the links(which has IDE) do?will they run on a non booting computer with no Windows/Internet explorer?

Edited by anamika29501, 07 January 2009 - 08:42 PM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:49 PM

Choose the Western Digital test - the manufacturer's often include extra features in their drives that only their diagnostics will check.

#11 anamika29501

anamika29501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:38 AM

Hi again
I looked up the Western Digital test and even downloaded the ISO for burning the cd.
There was this on their website

The Data Lifeguard Diagnostic Tools are used primarily for determining the physical condition of your hard drive. If you are having computer problems which you suspect are hard drive related, you can test your drive with this tool.This diagnostic utility is designed for hard drives larger than 8.4 GB with the model number starting with WDxxx.

Does this mean that it will only work for those Western Digital drives?
Can you clarify pls?I'm a complete novice when it comes to hard drives and hard ware.
Because I saw the IDE in Dell diagnostics(IDE DISK S/N =WD-WXE205222241),I've chosen this tool

" Data Lifeguard Tools 11.2 for Windows "..

Usasma,can you pls clarify if

-is it the right one i've downloaded

-if it is will diagnose/run for non WD drives

Cheers and regards
sudha

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:48 AM

The number that they are referring to is the Model Number - the number from the Dell report is the Serial Number.

This is the tool that you need: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...=30&lang=en )
You'll select the download that ends in .ISO - not the one that ends in .ZIP
It's the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)
Please read the directions very carefully as you'll need to make a bootable disk from the ISO image that you download

#13 anamika29501

anamika29501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:21 AM

burned the ISO as u said.On putting it in my unbootable laptop,it says "starting Caldera"

after a while the following messages come up

Unable to locate the license agreement file,DLGLICE.TXT!!!

Please make sure that the icense agreement file is located in the same path as DLGDIAG.EXE....

Cannot load the file A:\COMMAND.COM
Inser correct disk and Strike any key

what do i do now?

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:52 AM

We use this test at work, it's not as comprehensive as the Western Digital test, but it does give good results: http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/technolo/dft/dftnew.htm

#15 anamika29501

anamika29501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:21 PM

In that link which u mentioned,which of the following should I download to use?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.Feature Tool

2.Drive Fitness Test

My hard drive is IDE isnt it?so which amongst the above should I use ?
pls clarify

cheers
sudha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users