Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NTLDR is missing Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 KidDz Akemi

KidDz Akemi

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:56 PM

Hello, if anyone can help. My PC was actually fine, I was actually trying to save a dying external hard drive and accidentally did something stupid to my PC with a recovery program on the ultimate boot cd. I deleted a bunch of stuff by accident from my C drive and attempted to restore it. My first boot error was hal.dll, I fixed it and now it's the NTLDR is missing error.

I can't boot into Windows XP Home Edition period, I have a good bit of retore points I could use if I could just get in there. I have an HP system with a Recovery Partition, but I aslo have a slipstreamed XP Home Edition SP2 CD that I can access the recovery console through.

Before starting my own thread I read through this one: NTLDR Missing!

And tried John's 3 command's fix and that quickly ended with this warning:
FIXMBR may damage your partition tables if you proceed.
Posted Image

and Wassim advise so far I keep getting access denied. It won't accept my password which I know is correct. I left it blank and it seemed to accept it blank with no denial, but maybe I can't remember what the drive letter is for my cd...

Any how, that's the story. Please help. I would care about reinstalling everything if my external didn't smell like bacon everytime I plugged it in. I have its replacement now so its just a matter of quickly moving the files over via the PC I'm talking to you fellas on. Otherwise if I can't safely repair Windows, all is DOOMED, lol.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:50 PM

That warning for the fixmbr command...comes up every time, ignore it. Run the command from the Recovery Console :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 KidDz Akemi

KidDz Akemi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:08 PM

LOL, thank you Louis

The last command is doing its thing right now. It's at some percent. I'll be back with results when it's done. I just take out the cd and reboot correct?

That warning for the fixmbr command...comes up every time, ignore it. Run the command from the Recovery Console :thumbsup:.

Louis

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:57 PM

When chkdsk is complete, it will reboot the system. You can take the CD out anytime after it begins to reboot.

If the prompt comes up to boot from CD, just ignore it (don't hit any keys) and it will move on to booting from the hard drive.

Louis

#5 KidDz Akemi

KidDz Akemi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:51 PM

Well looky who came back for more:

error message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal/dll/
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Posted Image

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:12 PM

Try a hard drive diagnostic (bootable). A list of the more common one's is here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 KidDz Akemi

KidDz Akemi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:53 AM

Try a hard drive diagnostic (bootable). A list of the more common one's is here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

John do you mean to run a test? If yes, my installed drive passed the WD Data Lifeguard test. If no, I don't understand please give me more instructions.

#8 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:32 PM

Well looky who came back for more:

error message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal/dll/
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Posted Image

If you have already tried all of the above steps then you will most likely need to re-install XP.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

#9 KidDz Akemi

KidDz Akemi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:44 PM

Yaaay, I didn't give up, after I followed the first advice here. I found this advice and I've used it before, but it didn't work before and of course when you get the simple sounding fixes it seems like it wont work, but it did. So for those in a similar sinking ship, here's the fix I used:

Use the Bootcfg utility in the Recovery Console to correct the Boot.ini file:
Use the Windows XP CD-ROM to start your computer.
When you receive the message to press R to repair Windows by using the Recovery Console, press the R key.
Select the Windows installation that you want, and then type the administrator password when prompted.
Type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER.
When the Windows installation is located, the following instructions are displayed:
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
[Type Y in response to this message.]

Enter Load Identifier:
[This is the name of the operating system. Type Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition.]

Enter OS Load options:
[Leave this field blank, and then press ENTER].
After you perform the preceding steps, restart the computer, and then select the first item on the boot menu. This should allow Windows XP to start normally.

I don't know if it's possible for a moderator to mark my first thread resolved to help other.

Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

NOTE on EXTERNAL HARDDRIVE:
I also saved the dying external harddrive with the GetDataBack for NTFS. EVERYTHING was recovered including stuff I deleted. The old harddrive was literally fried, it smelled like electric bacon the last time I plugged it in, lost partion, no drive letter. This forum is heaven sent and that GetDataBack is scary... how do they do it!!!

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:23 PM

All feedback appreciated...your notes will probably help someone with the same or a similar situation.

Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#11 KidDz Akemi

KidDz Akemi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:09 PM

Thank you Louis.

If you or any of you guys have any expertise with USB drivers mishaps or Code 10 errors, please take a look at a new issue that transpired after Windows booted back up.

My USB devices aren't working. I believed this was cause for a new top here:

This device cannot start. (Code 10), ASUS K8S-LA (Salmon) Rear+Frnt USB's...
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/198576/this-device-cannot-start-code-10/

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:04 PM

Check your other post re drivers.

I suggest contacting HP for a set of recovery disks, there is a link for such on the webpage I linked to at HP.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users