Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer having issues, not sure what's causing them and where to go

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jmontgo3

jmontgo3

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:50 PM

Hi,

I've used this forum in the past with another computer so I'm fairly familiar with the quality of service and process here, but it has been a little while. I'm home for break and my parent's computer that they use for email and internet seems to be riddled with either / or viruses, spyware, adaware, or a combination of the three. Something is preventing Spybot from running, it will just crash when I hit the button to load it within 3-5 seconds. Also, the task manager is disabled, it says "by the administrator." Also, popups for various anti-virus software and other ads pop up with regularity, almost every 3 - 5 minutes, which as you can understand, is quite frustrating.

Its a Windows XP operating system, and if you need other information regarding the system specs do let me know. My dad's run a virus scan a couple times and hasn't had any results.

Thanks and I look forward to working with you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tehsplink

Tehsplink

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:47 PM

Please download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware to your desktop.

Ensure that your computer is connected to the internet and your software firewall is disabled until instructed to re-enable it.
Double click on the mbam-setup.exe to begin the installation process.
When the installation begins, please do not change any of the settings and follow the prompts.
Please make sure that when you finish the installation, these options remain checked;
*Update MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware
*Launch MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware
You may now click finish...
When MBAM launches, you will be prompted to update before running a scan. If an update is found, MBAM will automatically download and apply the updates and you can then click 'OK' button to close the box and continue. You may now re-enable your firewall
Please ensure that while you are on the scanner tab the 'Perform Quick Scan' option is selected, then click the 'Scan' button.
If you are asked which drives to scan, please leave all of them ticked, and click 'Start Scan'.
The scan will now begin and you will see “Scan in progress” at the top; It may take a while to complete so please be patient.
When the scan completes, you will see “The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found”
Click the 'OK' button to close the box and continue with the removal process.
Back on the main scanner screen, click 'Show Results' to see a list of any found Malware.
Ensure that all items are checked and then click the 'Remove Selected' button.
When the removal process is complete, a log will open in notepad; this log will be automatically saved and you can view it in the logs section of the program.
Copy and paste the contents of the log file that is open into your next reply and exit MBAM.

Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the Malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.

This also appears to be a rogue program. just in case MBAM doesn't remove it all, please download MalwareBytes RogueRemover Free...
Its pretty simple, download and install and then click the check for updates button on the first run, then click scan. It will then take about 4 seconds to scan and it should remove it all.

Don't forget that log ;)
Please PM me if i have been assisting you and do not reply for 24 hours!

#3 jmontgo3

jmontgo3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:57 PM

When I click to run the install for the mbam tool, IE popups fill the screen as well as many Application Error windows that read:

Exception EInvalidOp in module mbam-setup.tmp at 778500D5
Invalid floating point operation.

I'm going to reboot and try again but I'm unable to install this malware tool due to these error windows.

#4 Tehsplink

Tehsplink

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:49 PM

you may want to try boopme's fix...

You may also try this"

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run. "

#5 jmontgo3

jmontgo3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:53 PM

Well I tried to rename the mbam exe file, and it still blocked it, using every different extension name you provided.

What is this boopme's fix you're referring to?

And a few other bits of info regarding what its doing:

- Repeatedly opening My Documents windows
- Internet Explorer window ads, a large number of them revolving around anti-virus software and a site called PCSecurityService.com

It is also blocking the use of SpyBot: Search and Destroy, which was installed on the computer before this all started happening.

#6 Tehsplink

Tehsplink

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:46 AM

Can you please go into safe mode, and then try running MBAM. If it doesn't work then please ensure you try the extension trick that Boopme gave.

A log is pretty important.
let me know how your getting on after youve gone into safe mode.

#7 jmontgo3

jmontgo3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:32 PM

To clarify and be sure I'm doing it right, the renaming trick is simply right-clicking on the exe file I download to my desktop, and changing its name to end in .bat, or.com? That's what I was doing and it wasn't working, but I will try it again.

And regarding safe mode, should there be a little line of text when the computer is booting up that say hit F5 to go into safe mode? I haven't seen any mention of safe mode when I'm booting up the thing, so I'm not exactly sure if or how I can get it to boot up in safe mode.

#8 jmontgo3

jmontgo3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:28 PM

Wow so you've just given up? Been 2 days now and no response.

I resolved the issue by doing a system recovery and wiping everything off that wasn't on when they shipped the computer to us. Chalk one up for the virus.

#9 hub714

hub714

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:36 PM

That will usually fix problems, but it's a last ditch effort if you're getting rid of everything.

I'm having the same problem with my Boss' laptop and I can't do that.

Same disabled taskmgr, same floating point errors. To renable taskmgr google up the registry key to do it. The file that was changing the key everytime for me was frmwrk32.exe so I went and deleted that and it solved my taskmgr problem.

I realized the floating point errors only happened when I was installing the anti-spyware programs AND using a mouse. So I just used a keyboard to install everything and it worked perfectly. Now I'm using mbam to scan everything and hopefully it will work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users