Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleared TDSS (I Think) But have new DNS issues


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Enkidu98

Enkidu98

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:19 PM

I'm a dabbler so when I found my Wife's computer had been infected I set to work clearing it off. Initially I thought I had a hosts file problem (since I was being redirected and manual attempts to get to sites received 404 errors) but quickly learned my hosts file was fine. It didn;t take much from there to decide it was a DNS issue. I manually changed the DNS entries for the adapter to the comcast addresses but problem remained so at that point I knew I had something not fun at all.

I had a heck of a time getting anything done. MBAM wouldn't install, nor would a number of other utilities. I was able to finally get one (http://www.prevx.com/freescan.asp) to install and it found the rootkit/trojan but charged me 16 bucks for a one month license to get it to remove it. So, I had it remove the files.

After doing this I was able to actually install MBAM and ran it and it found more vestiges. I also ran ComboFix and I believe it found something as well since removed.

Because it was late and I was frustrated I went and deleted out the quarantine folders and everything still seems fine.

When I then went to return my wife's machine to pull the DNS automatically, she wouldn't have access to the Internet. I went ahead and re-entered the manual values I pulled from the router for the DNS settings and it works but I would prefer to be using automatic in case Comcast decides to change up their DNS servers.

Does anyone know the answer or is there something more I can provide to help get to the root of the issue? I'm posting from work so will not be able to provide any information directly from her system until I return home in the evening (after 7MST likely)

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 Tehsplink

Tehsplink

  • Members
  • 120 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Near London
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:38 PM

If you have problems again, try downloading LSPFix.
This can be found at http://www.cexx.org/LSPFix.exe and will look for and bad bits in your Layer Socket Providers. When i messed around with some registry keys, i used this and it solved the problem.

:thumbsup:
Please PM me if i have been assisting you and do not reply for 24 hours!

#3 Enkidu98

Enkidu98
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:43 PM

Thanks, I'll give it a try when I get home.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users