Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't get rid of HWSSYQMZ.EXE

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Eleutheria

Eleutheria

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 20 May 2005 - 04:22 PM

I have a file on my computer that I must have inadvertently downloaded recently that is trying to access the Internet constantly while I surf the net. It is housed as C:\Windows\ hwssyqmz.exe and when my firewall (Norton) pops up giving me the option to block or permit, I select block and then check the block that says always use this action. Two minutes later it will pop back up. I have located the item in my windows directory and deleted it, and immediately emptied the recycle bin, but it comes right back. I have run Norton AV which detects nothing wrong with it, and both Adaware, and Spybot search & destroy which have done nothing.

Please help me get rid of this thing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 20 May 2005 - 08:16 PM

Hi Eleutheria,

I searched a few startup databases, but couldn't find out what that file does. I think you may have a spyware/adware/malware problem. I suggest that you post a HijackThis log to the HJT forum here. There are experts there that will review your log and will tell you what you need to do to rid yourself of the rouge file.

Please do the following:

Create a directory on your hardrive to save HijackThis.exe. A directory like c:hijackthis. If you do not do this, you will not be able to use the backup/restore features.

Download HijackThis from:

HijackThis Download Site

Save this file into the directory you made previously and then run the program named hijackthis.exe. When the program opens click on the Config button, then click on the Misc Tools button, and click on the Check for update online button. When it completes checking/applying updates press the back button.

Now click on the Scan button and when it is finished click on the Save Log button. A Notepad window will open with the contents of this log. Click on Edit then click on Select all. Then click on Edit and then Click on Copy.

Go here >>> HJT Forum To start a new post and right click in message area and select paste to paste the log into the post.

Someone will reply to you after reading this post. DO NOT fix any entries unless you understand what you are doing.

To see a tutorial with screenshots on using HijackThis you can click on the link below:

How to use HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers, Malware, & Spyware

These people are very good, but please be patient.

Good luck,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Eleutheria

Eleutheria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 08:27 AM

Hey Rigel,

First let me express my gratitude for you assistance. Thank you so much for helping. However, I did come to a snag. Using the link to download Hijackthis, after downloading it and setting it into my specified directory, I am getting and error when I try to run that says this application has failed to start because MSVBVM60.DLL was not found. I tried re-installing several times but always get the same message. I didn't know if I need to report this as a dead link or what. Please advise.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 08:52 AM

Hi Eleutheria

That is a common error. You can get that file here. We need to know what your operating system is to let you know where to put the file.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Eleutheria

Eleutheria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 09:12 AM

I use windows xp.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 09:19 AM

Place that file in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 Eleutheria

Eleutheria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 09:43 AM

Ok, I've manged to post the log in the correct forum. Thanks to you both for getting me thus far :thumbsup:

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:35 AM

Glad we were able to help. I've seen your log and you have some work to do but you will be pleasantly suprised with the results. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users