Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

link up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 carm6

carm6

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 20 May 2005 - 04:13 PM

Ok i have just brought a second pc. And i need to know how i go about connecting it online with my other pc. I have been told all i need to do is connect the network cards together with a special wire? Is this correct? But I would really like to go wireless and use bluetooth can anyone explane how i would go about doing this? :thumbsup: Thanks guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 20 May 2005 - 11:48 PM

That depends how you connect to the internet at the moment, and also on the operating systems of the two PC's.

Generalising though:
If your on dial up you can network your two (or more) PCs and install Internet Connection Sharing.
The simplest network, which allows only 2 PCs connected, is a 'cross-over' Cat5e patch cable plugged into an ethernet card in each PC. Approx cost AU$40 if you have to buy network cards.
If you want to do the same thing without a cable put a wireless network card in each PC and let them talk in Peer-to-Peer mode. Approx cost AU$200.
If your internet connection is broadband you can buy a wired or wireless router and connect the two or more PCs to it (then you do not need Internet Connection Sharing set up, the PCs connect independently). Approx cost AU$150-500.

As regards bluetooth this is a different technology and as far as I know only applies to connecting a peripheral (like a phone or headset) to a single PC. It has nothing to do with networking PCs.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 carm6

carm6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 09:46 AM

Thanks mate, i am connected through broadband the 1meg connection. so basicly i will need a wireless router to go wireless then :thumbsup:

#4 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:18 AM

1 meg.....yummy, hey rimmer what is your opinion of bluetooth, is it all it was supposed to be do you think, i mean is it necessary or just bloody handy?
Wireless is the way to go but you MUST understand network security and have a basic understanding of networking for your network to be considered safe, there would have to be a wireles networking tutorial on BC somewhere woldn't there? hmm might have a look myself, always pays to brush up on these skills.

Edited by lucent, 22 May 2005 - 10:24 AM.

Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 22 May 2005 - 06:43 PM

Hi lucent,
I don't really know much about bluetooth, I've just been in situations where people use it to wear their handsfree headsets for mobile phones or to synchronise a PDA and a laptop. So far as I know the technology is solid at minimal distances - but secure? - no idea.
Yeah, 1 meg would be nice, it should be available in my street by about 2050. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 22 May 2005 - 06:45 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 06:52 PM

Telstra and customer service - an oxymoron? hehe
Sorry carm for getting off topic :thumbsup:
Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

0 user(s) are reading this topic