Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

From USB modem to router

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dumduck

dumduck

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:00 AM

Hello.
I have a dual boot system I just created using two HDD, the primary O/S is win2k pro, the secondary HD has XP home. the primary win 2k system connects via a usb modem (thompson speedtouch st330) no problems it works well. On the other hand my newly installed XP with identical settings, drivers ect just will not connect (error 769), try as I may it will not work. I was advised to get a Netgear router, which I did "wireless G Modem Router DG834G. I thought that this was a wired router just like the modem, it appears not. the Question is I have no experience with wifi am I doing this right do I need to convert my PC with a network card and therefore make it wireless enabled so I can use this router?.
some advice please

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:36 AM

I am really trying to understand your post. The router you bought has 4 ports on it. Does your current computer have a network port? Assuming it does:

Since you have the new modem/router, you might as well do it right (using ethernet instead of USB). You might have to call your ISP and register that modem/router, or use that new modem/router with your current account and password. ISPs differ. Once you have the modem/router setup, use your network cables(s) for the connections to your current system. That router shows to have 4 network ports as well as wireless. Don't forget to either turn off the wireless if you aren't going to use it, or secure it with a proper password so your neighbors don't leech.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:43 PM

You can't connect to (the internet?) using your USB modem for the secondary win xp system, because the win2k system. which first used the connection, has already taken the IP address assigned to it.

Since the modem recognizes the Windows XP system as another computer, it cannot assign another IP to it, most likely because your ISP does not let you have more than one IP address.

If, on your primary OS (Win 2k) you go to start --> run--> cmd --> ipconfig /release , then, using the Win XP system, if it doesn't connect to the internet automaticallygo to start --> run--> cmd-- > ipconfig /renew . (And vice versa if your booting into the Win 2K system).

Using this method you should be able to tell one OS to release the IP (so that another OS / computer can connect to it), then instructing the other Ip to connect.

THe other experts here may know better though, so I sugges tyou wait for more answers ;)

#4 dumduck

dumduck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:59 AM

Many thanks dpunisher and funnytim
I am a novice with networks but I am trying to learn.
My PC has two network ports RJ45 A 3com LAN controller and a NVIDIA LAN controller the modem/router has 4 network ports.
dpunisher to explain my post better, I have a single pc to which I have added a second HDD loaded with a new installation of XP home, I have created a dual boot system using a boot manager. MY win2k O/S is the primary O/S and works well with my USB modem and connects to the net easily. When duplicated all modem driver settings ect onto the XP drive I cannot get that drive to connect, it reports back error 769, I have tried every permutation possible to get it to work my ISP Tech dept cannot give me an answer. An I.T. guy at my local computer shop advised my to get rid of usb modem and buy a router this I have done but I am now at a loss in setting the whole system up so both drives can access the net independently.

Funnytim. you answer makes sense, it is the only informative reply I have had todate ( 1 month). My ISP tech dept never told me that you cannot have what is effectively two pc connected albeit independently to one account

#5 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:05 AM

You use the router and the modem at the same time. The router simply sends the data that is received by the modem, to different computers on your network. So the connection between the two should be stable.

#6 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:35 AM

So your PC has a network ethernet port, correct?

Are you trying to connect using Wireless or Wired?

How to setup a router:
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/homenet...erconfigure.htm

Connect your Internet modem to the router. Most network modems connect via an Ethernet cable but USB connections are becoming increasingly common. The cable plugs into the router jack named "WAN" or "uplink" or "Internet."

#7 dumduck

dumduck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:52 AM

Hi tim
Yes I have two fast Ethernet ports (2x RJ45).
I am trying to connect wired, and as stated in my previous posts this is a solution suggested to overcome my two O/S sharing one internet connection and to add better security.
regards
brian

#8 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:10 PM

Does your modem have a ethnernet port? (looks like a phone jack, only bigger)

Edited by funnytim, 08 January 2009 - 04:11 PM.

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:46 PM

Ok First You should inform your ISP that you have purchased your Own ADSL Modem. They will Advise you if you can use your own equipment or not. I know SBC doesn't like other modems. If they ok using your own modem this is how you need to set it up. First turn off the computer and do not plug in the power to the modem yet. Second connect your Phone line going to your old DSL modem from the wall outlet to the black RJ-11 port on the back of the modem (labled port 5 in your manual). Third Connect your computers RJ-45 Port to the yellow port labled number 1. Turn your modem on first, then turn on your PC. You Will need the connection settings provided by your ISP which may include the Host and Domain name, Internet log on and password (usually an email address), Your DNS addres and your Fixed or Static IP address. Lastly your connection needs to be set to DHCP enabled.

Verifying Your Connection

Setting Up Your Router for Internet Access
When configuring your wireless router manually, you must log in to your wireless modem router
to set it up initially and to make any changes to your wireless router‚„s settings later.
To access the router:
1. Type http://192.168.0.1 in the address field of your browser, and then click Enter..
A login screen similar to the one shown in the following figure displays:
The factory default state is reset when you use the Restore Factory Settings button.
See ‚“Restoring the Default Configuration and Password‚ on page 32 for more
information.
You can also enter either of these addresses to connect to your wireless router:
http://www.routerlogin.net or http://www.routerlogin.com.
Figure 11

2. When prompted, enter admin for the router User Name and password for the router
Password, both in lowercase letters. (For security reasons, the router has its own user name
and password.)
The Main menu displays.
3. From the menu options in the left navigation pane, click Setup Wizard. The Setup Wizard
screen displays.
4. Select one of the following options:
‚ Select Yes to allow the Setup Wizard to detect your Internet connection. When prompted,
click Next. The wizard will help you configure your wireless router to access the Internet.
‚ Select No to set up the connection yourself. Click Next and the Basic Settings screen
displays. Enter the required information for your ISP connection in the appropriate fields.
If you need assistance, follow the Basic Settings Help screens on the router interface or
see the online User‚„s Manual for this wireless modem router.
5. Click Apply to save your settings and complete your connection.
You should now be connected to the Internet!

Edit: If you are unable to log into the modem/router you need to make sure that your Ethernet ports are properly installed, the drivers are up to date and that you are using the correct port (since you have 2 of them)

Edit2: Don't forget to change your Routers User name and Password. Also Be sure to turn on your wireless security or turn off the wireless feature if you won't be using it.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 09 January 2009 - 05:55 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users