Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a Computer

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 20 May 2005 - 04:12 PM

I'm building 2 computers, and currently since my mom is funding it (she is willing to pay like anything, hehe). One of the 2 computers will be for me and the other will be for my brother. I was wondering what should I look for in buying a computer case?

This is what I want them to be (about):

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (i think that is the highest they have)
1-80GB HDD (for my brother), 2-120GB HDD for me

I'm not sure what Video Card to get here is a couple of the ones I've had my eye on...

connect3D Radeon 7000 32MB DDR AGP 2X/4X Video Card - Retail
Albatron Geforce FX5500 256MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail
JATON Geforce FX5700LE 256MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail
connect3D Radeon X700PRO 256MB GDDR3 PCI-Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Also what exactly kind of Ethernet card should I get; I want to be able to still use my RoadRunner connection and home network with games on the home network. (I was thinking a Giga-bit)

Also I'm not sure, would it be worth it getting a DVD-Burner? or just get a cheap CD-Burner and wait to just buy a Blu-Ray Burner in like a year?

And what about USB cards (internal) what kind should I get and where could I get these. Mostly I've been looking at www.newegg.com for this stuff.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 20 May 2005 - 04:42 PM

I know how to build DECENT gaming comps for under $1000 a piece!! If you do not like the specs given to build these then, feel free to change them. Who am I? Your mother? hehe, jk.

Tom's way to build sub-$1000 comps ... P.S.: my name is not Tom.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2005 - 04:55 PM

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...#entry585948607

I'm still thinking...

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 20 May 2005 - 05:38 PM

1-80GB HDD (for my brother), 2-120GB HDD for me

I think your brother is getting riped off..

:thumbsup:

Go for the DVD burner, it's becoming the norm on most newer systems now.

I also think USB 2. is the norm for newer systems as well.
It is 40 times faster than USB 1.1.
JC

#5 MalikTous

MalikTous

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2005 - 09:29 AM

Howcome you're shorting on the HD for your bro'? I'd put a 250GB in mine, a 120 in his, and when I make up the partitions I'd make two on the 250 and put up the second as a shared volume on the LAN so both of you can use that.

Buy the video card that fits the mainboard bus (don't buy AGP vid card for a PCIX board...), and don't buy any lame SE or LE versions.

Mount plenty of case fans, intakes at the bottom and exhausts at the top.

Get a good router so all systems in the house can be run through your broadband ISP.

Use good power protection! At least a surge strip for each... best is a small UPS at the outlying PCs and a bigger one for the PC station that includes the router and broadband gateway appliance.
'Open the @^!&&!#& hatch, Hal!'

'I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that...'

#6 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2005 - 10:51 AM

[quote name='http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=322725']lol the fx55 is a top end chip, there mucking around.

for $1500, you should be able to get:

AMD64 Venice Core 3500+ (thats a processor) $272
DFI lanparty nf4 Ultra-D UT (thats a motherboard) $132
PowerColor ATI Radeon X800XL (video card) $279
Geil 1gb DDR high performance (memory) $115
Pioneer DVR109 (cheep but good) $56
250gb WD Caviar SATA (hard drive) $124

TOTAL=$978

well, well, we can put together that with some nice case, speakers, kb, mouse and monitor...

Logitech Cordless Desktop LX700 $59
Altec Lansing 5051 surround sound dribble.gif $105
NEC Flat CRT 19" $169 (get a LCD if u want, but this is perfect for gaming yes.gif)
ThermalTake Tsunami ATX Case with fans $106
Zalman 400W PSU $70

SO THE GRAND TOTAL IS... *drumroll* ... *start>run>calc.exe* ...

$1487 for a kick-ass gaming rig. so 2 will be $2,974. Well within budget happy.gif[/quote]
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=322725
However I'm getting a Flat LCD Monitor at newegg.com for about the same as that crt.

That is what I'm getting.

I've already got a Linksys 10/100Mb router. :thumbsup: So yea I've already had the RoadRunner internet connection shared for a while. :flowers:

Edited by yanowhiz, 21 May 2005 - 10:55 AM.

#7 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2005 - 11:18 AM

Oh I forgot to add this sound card. :thumbsup:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16829102175

and my new grand total is before and after shipping/handleing:

Before Shipping and Handleing: $1547.4 each
After Shipping and Handleing: $3144.58= Grand Total. A little over, but my mom said its ok. :flowers: :trumpet:

#8 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 21 May 2005 - 03:37 PM

u lucky son of a b***h... my mom will not even let me buy a shirt with her money lol

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#9 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2005 - 04:00 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers:

Here is the thing, my mom asked me and my brother, would you guys rather go on vacation this year or get new computers? And she knows I love computers, so I was like, "What do you think?" lol and She said "I'll take that as a yes." :trumpet:

At first she wanted to know what was cheaper a laptop or a desktop, then I told her, since I want a computer, I'm building it. (This will be my first build, thank god I have friends who have done this before. :inlove: )

Edited by yanowhiz, 21 May 2005 - 04:01 PM.

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2005 - 05:30 PM

Hi YW

I read your other thread and I think what you have picked looks pretty good. You'll get no end of conflicting advice, so go with your gut feelings. Oh yeah, you got a great Mom. :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#11 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:48 AM

Anyone else think its sad that the most expensive component of that whole system is the Vid card? /sigh for that kind of money a Monitor should be included IMO! :thumbsup:

#12 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 02:11 AM

Dear Yano,

I read the posts but I must have missed the case you are getting?

I wonder how much your Mother would have sprung for?

Good thing I came late to this post.

Since you were buying for two and I don't know how old your little brother is; I would have bought a built computer for your little brother.

I am on a great little computer right now. Its an eMachines T6212. Look it up, you will be kicking yourself in the rear. Just to let you know Ram is upgradeable to 4GB and Mother board will go video to ATI Rad X700 Pro 256Mb PCI-E.

Price: $629, with a $50 rebate, $579. Comes with keyboard,mouse, and speakers.

Now, what you bought is wonderful and once built will rock. But any gamer will tell you case first.

I have spent hundreds of dollars trying to find the perfect aircooled setup and I am still spending.

Having a $600 ASUS AX800AGP vid card, cooling is on my top priority. I just bought a Sunbeam Transformer case that is sitting in my kitchen.

The case has two 80mm side fans, one 80mm top fan, one 120mm front fan, and one 120mm rear fan.

Oh, don't rely on the manufacturers to supply supple cooling to their devices. You will have to add cooling.

I recommend the Vantec Fan Card. It pushes extreme air for your vid card.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#13 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 08:27 AM

I am on a great little computer right now. Its an eMachines T6212

OMG "great" and "eMachine" in same paragraph??
Tisk Tisk!

#14 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 08:04 PM

Dear LoLucky,

Yeah...I know the reputation of eMachines but I have to say I am impressed with this one.

For the money, its a sound little machine. Pick one up and check it out.

The only downside so far is that the case is cheap and the memory it came with slow.

Let me know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#15 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 10:53 AM

I'm gonna have to post a "recent" specs of what I have in my cart. And I'm gonna have to purhcase before the 31 of May, because the shipping and hadleing deals end. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users