Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad HDD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Activa

Activa

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:59 AM

Hi All

Can bad/outdated/faulty drivers cause the following error logs?

51: An error was detected on device \device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation ( I have loads of these messages)
and

50: Delayed Write fail. (only a few of these)

I have had to reset the pc back to factory settings, have got the windows updates inc Service pack 3, but have not updated any other drivers eg Nvidia, Yukon yet. Despite having 2gig ram and was previously very fast it has slowed to a snails pace.

Should I bother to update the drivers or is the HD on it's way out? the pc is a 2 year old Acer Aspire amd dual core Athlon with a Hitachi HDS721616PLA380 160 gig hard drive.

I have backed everything up onto an external USB drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:18 PM

Now that you have everything backed up (first priority), you can check the hard drive.

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT

Download either floppy or CD version (.iso file for CD), put it on proper media, floppy...reboot, change boot order so that floppy is first.

You have to use an iso-burning program if you download the .iso file...to create a bootable CD.

Active@ ISO Burner. Data CD DVD burning software. Write ISO image to CD,DVD,CD-RW,CDR,DVD-RW. - http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm

If the diagnostic (long test if there is a short and a long available) gives it a clean bill of health, all is well.

Louis

#3 Activa

Activa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:52 AM

Thank you Hamluis

I had a copy of the Hitachi Drive fitness test on disc and it reported the HDD as bad, so did smart monitoring. Since then it has failed completely so I'm off to buy a new HDD. I'm looking at a 500gig Seagate.

I can fit the drive but am unsure about formatting/partitioning and installing the OS on the new drive.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:35 PM

Well...first thing I'll say is...get a SATA drive, if you can (if you have SATA connections). Let us know if you do.

Formatting, etc. is pretty easy if you have a Microsoft XP CD:

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Louis

#5 Activa

Activa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:03 PM

Thanks Halmuis for your help.

Have now fitted a new 250 gig drive and have purchased vista home premium, new drive, new OS... * wanders over to the Vista forum*

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:44 PM

Another satisfied customer, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users