Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Budget PC, Under $1000

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 What The Who

What The Who

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:14 AM

Been about 2 years since I built my last PC, and I'm feeling a little behind the times now. When I built my PC, socket 939 was still the preferred standard for motherboards. :huh:

I'm building a PC for a friend who's looking to spend no more than $1000. He's a casual gamer, so he won't need anything fancy, as long as it can reliably run W.o.W., all will be good. He'd also like something that will be upgradable for some time. So I started browsing through Newegg, trying to find a decent budget AMD Mobo, when I realized I should have been doing some reading on PC hardware over the last 2 years. :thumbsup:

What I'm looking for here is just some starter info.
  • Decent Low Cost AMD Motherboard?
  • Processor?
  • Video Card (preferably nVidia)?
I guess my biggest point of confusion at the moment, is the compatibility of Mobo's and Video Cards. So any clarification that can offered there would be helpful as well.
"If it doesn't make sense... It's probably true."

- Arlo Guthrie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wee

Wee

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:04 PM

What's up man ?? I am going to start a build too soon, to replace my 2 year old Acer......and I have also been researching @ newegg.com. Compare items and read reviews, and you should be headed in the right direction......Happy building....

Edited by Wee, 06 January 2009 - 04:05 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:43 PM

Big topic...motherboards and processors. The landscape is changing as we...write :thumbsup:.

Afraid you are going to have to do some reading up...or just let others tell you where to spend your money :huh:. Once you have some ideas, I suggest bouncing those off the members/visitors here.

FWIW: Nothing...is going to be upgradeable for some time...at least, that's my take on what's been happening since about 2000 or so. If you doubt that...try finding items that were commonplace and highly promoted 2 years ago...today.

Louis

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:44 PM

You can get alot with $1000.

Case: Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-US-BA-WOPSU - You need a case, a large full-ATX case can handle the newest, and longest, cards. $69 (Before $25 mail-in rebate)

Motherboard: MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - This motherboard has two PCIexpress X16 slots for SLI. It's not the cheapest but it does have SLI and of good quality. It also has on-board sound and networking. $139

Graphics Card: MSI N260GTX-T2D896 OC GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported - One of NVidia's newer cards with plenty of horsepower for recent and upcoming games. $229

Power Supply: OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W - This is overpowered for your configuration, but it will power almost all hardware configurations. $109 (Before $40 mail-in rebate)

CPU: AMD Phenom 9950 BLACK EDITION Agena 2.6GHz - This is AMD's multiplier unlocked Phenom. It is also AMD's best chip. I would suggest getting an aftermarket CPU cooler if you plan to overclock. $159

Memory: OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 - Your motherboard can support 8GB of memory, so you will want to get two kits. $51 per kit

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Lots of space.... $79

Optical Drive: Samsung Combo Drive - A simple DVD drive. $22

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit - You need a 64-bit operating system to use 4GB or more of RAM. I don't suggest getting XP 64-bit, it doesn't have the same compatibility as Vista. $99

Price: 1,016 (With two RAM kits)

3939.png

#5 What The Who

What The Who
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:13 AM

Wow, thanks for the quick replies all. I know these things are never upgradable for very long. I just don't want my friend to have to replace the mobo if he want's to upgrade anything else. :thumbsup:

And all those part look great DJBPace07, thanks for giving me a good starting point.

I'm sure I'll be back as the build continues, with lots of questions to pick your brains.

Thanks all!
"If it doesn't make sense... It's probably true."

- Arlo Guthrie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users