Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro Clean Install

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jim50

Jim50

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:56 AM

Hello everyone!
I have XP HOME on one drive in my system and another HDD for XP Pro. The Home version is what I use as a backup in case the XP Pro crashes... which is what happened.

I reformatted the 230GB HDD and want to reinstall XP Pro. However, when I run the installation program the HDD is not detected. So, I experimented with the thing. When I have both HDDs connected I can access the (empty) 230GB HDD from the XP Home version when using “My Computer”. This is how I was able to access it to reformat it. Note: I do not want a dual-boot system! I change the bios setting to determine which OS to use. When I disconnect the XP Home HDD and try to install XP Pro on the other HDD, it can’t find it. In the past I had used MSCDEX.exe installed and formatted with the system files transferred to the HDD for win98 apps. However, this is XP.

Should I have some sort of system files installed on the empty HDD before I insert the installation CD :thumbsup: ?

Any thought on this is appreciated!
Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:01 AM

If you have a valid MS XP CD...and you've changed the boot order in the BIOS so that the optical drive is the 1st boot option...I see no reason the drive should not be detected (unless there is a problem with the drive).

The question is...are you using recovery/restore disks of some sort? Or are you using a real MS CD (with hologram) to attempt the install?

What error message was provided?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users