Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing winword.exe file (word 97)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bbaker

bbaker

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:13 PM

Dear Friends,
Recently I went to open word 97 (I have office 97) only to find that the winword.exe file could not be found. The only thing I've done in the past month or so is get rid of some serious malware using malwarebytes antimalware. I also used one or two other anti-spyware/anti-virus apps. One of them was Dr. Cureit - somebody recommended it. Is it possible that one or more of these programs could have somehow deleted my word 97 exe file? When I searched for the file all I found was a file called winword.exe-23347E4F. Strangely enough my wife's laptop has the same problem. And yes, I ran malwarebytes antimalware on hers too. I have lost my office 97 CD and so I'm trying to do what I can to recover this file on both computers. It just seems too much like lightning striking in the same place twice. Does anyone else here at BC have any such experience with this sort of thing? Tnx 4 the help.

Brian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:26 AM

It is possible that, when you ran your anti-malware software, it deleted / moved / renamed the Winword.exe file due to an infection.

One suggestion I can offer is to try looking into your anti-malware program(s) and see if you can restore any previous winword.exe files. If you can't then the only thing I can think of is to do a repair install of Office 97.

However someone else here may have a better solution than me, so you should probably wait for some better answers ;)

#3 tech_tiger

tech_tiger

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:55 AM

Visit http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/pub0009...icle.asp?ID=282

Hope it works for you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users