Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help, please: gaming computer Qs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tooter801

tooter801

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 20 May 2005 - 11:23 AM

Hi all!

I bought an emachines T6212 computer for my son at Best Buy last week. I also got a Samsung SyncMaster 730b LCD monitor and an APC Back-UPS ES 350/500 battery pack/surge protector (at the insistence of the sales personnel...didn't know about such a thing). The purpose of his computer is for gaming (counterstrike, etc.) and student use (hopefully through college, about 6 years). This link shows the details of the machine:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1109937811602

I have some questions regarding the computer. Please forgive my ignorance as some or all of them may not be XP related, but I wasn't sure where else to post these in the forums here.

1) Does it hurt the monitor to be set on anything except the highest resolution? (being older, my eyes don't do well with the highest settings my son needs to best game)

2) what graphics card does he need for best results? He took the Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 from his old computer, and added it to this one, preinstalled with an ATI Express 200 series (0x5954). Apparently, the GeForce isn't doing as well as he'd thought. (*see below, if desired)

3) Is/are the preinstalled norton and macaffee security systems enough, or should I go ahead and install ad-aware & spybot? Not sure why I distrust the aforementioned to actually protect, but I don't.

Thank you very much in advance for your comments and suggestions!
:thumbsup:

*copied from our "system information":
Name ATI RADEON Xpress 200 Series
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5954&SUBSYS_71411462&REV_00\4&D623FAE&0&2808
Adapter Type ATI RADEON Xpress 200 Series (0x5954), ATI Technologies Inc. compatible
Adapter Description ATI RADEON Xpress 200 Series
Adapter RAM 128.00 MB (134,217,728 bytes)
Installed Drivers ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version 6.14.10.6497
INF File oem4.inf (ati2mtag_RS480 section)
Color Planes 1
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1024 x 768 x 70 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Memory Address 0xC0000000-0xCFFFFFFF
I/O Port 0x0000EF00-0x0000EFFF
Memory Address 0xFDEF0000-0xFDEFFFFF
IRQ Channel IRQ 17
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\ati2mtag.sys (6.14.10.6497, 843.50 KB (863,744 bytes), 1/28/2005 1:50 AM)
Name NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0322&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1\4&2E26DDEC&0&10A4
Adapter Type GeForce FX 5200, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Adapter RAM 128.00 MB (134,217,728 bytes)
Installed Drivers nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version 6.14.01.4345
INF File oem9.inf (nv4_NV3x section)
Color Planes 1
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 800 x 600 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Memory Address 0xFB000000-0xFBFFFFFF
Memory Address 0xF0000000-0xF7FFFFFF
IRQ Channel IRQ 22
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\nv4_mini.sys (6.14.01.4345, 1.20 MB (1,261,418 bytes), 8/26/2004 3:56 AM)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 20 May 2005 - 10:43 PM

Hi tooter801,

I can answer some of your questions, though I'm not familiar with E-machines stuff.

Does it hurt the monitor to be set on anything except the highest resolution?

Not at all, set it to what you want. CRT monitors could be damaged by trying to set too high a resolution but LCDs just put up an error message, they won't be damaged.

Is/are the preinstalled norton and macaffee security systems enough, or should I go ahead and install ad-aware & spybot?

No and yes. Preinstalled Norton and MacAfee? What security applications have you got exactly? You should only have one anti-virus program and one firewall operational at any time.
Do you have any anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:

APC Back-UPS ES 350/500 battery pack/surge protector

These are an excellent idea if your power is a little rough and /or subject to brownouts. If you use dial up make sure to connect the phone line via the ports on the UPS so your modem is protected from surges.

what graphics card does he need for best results?

That I cannot help you with, there are so many variants out there I'm completely out of touch. It depends on the thickness of your wallet. Check the system requirements, for graphics adaptors, on the games he likes to run and look for a graphics card with better specs but still affordable. Drivers are also the key to best performance of graphics cards. Make sure you update Windows, and download the latest Direct X and video card drivers from the Internet.

Good luck.

:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2005 - 08:17 AM

INTEL MAY BE struggling a little bit with its processors right now, but the company smacked one out of the park with the introduction of its 900-series chipsets with PCI Express. These new core logic wonders introduced a whole raft of novel features to the PC platform, including enhancements for expansion, storage, audio, graphics, and memory. The 915 and 925X Express ushered in a new era for personal computer hardware and left Intel's chipset competitors choking in the dust.
The competition has been scrambling to keep up, but a funny thing happened on the way to Pentium 4 chipset nirvana. Suddenly, for the first time, at least three different chipset makers decided to push toward completion of an AMD-oriented product before taking the plunge on the Intel side of things. The prospect of competing head to head with Intel's impressive new core logic was no doubt a part of their motivation, but they were probably also tempted by the Athlon 64's incredible performance advantage over the Pentium 4, as well. It's safe to say that the best Athlon 64 chipset will also be the highest performance PC platform available, bar none. Why not aim for the juicy prospect of having the first PCI Express chipset for the Athlon 64 on your resume?

The race between the major chipset players to produce that first AMD chipset with PCI Express has been dramatic. VIA struck first when it showed up in Damage Labs bearing a K8T890 reference board for a little testing session, although our testing time was limited and some of the board's south bridge features barely worked. Then NVIDIA let fly with its nForce4 announcement, stirring SLI fans into a frenzy with a breezy paper launch. Much noise has been made about forthcoming final motherboards, while whispers about problems and delays have echoed in the background.

Who knew that ATI would be the first to deliver to us a fully working reference board for an extended testing session? And who knew that ATI's Athlon 64 chipset with PCI Express would also pack an integrated Radeon graphics core with DirectX 9? Say hello to the Radeon Xpress 200 chipset, ATI's surprisingly solid first stab at the AMD core logic market. (This report goes on for several pages)

http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/radeo...00/index.x?pg=1

Looks like the chipset that came with the machine is superior for the 64 bit Athalon than the one he replaced it with.

In addition to the other malware programs you have been advised to run, download, update amd utilyze the Microsoft Beta. It seems you can never have too many of the anti-malware aps.

Microsoft Antispyware Beta: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...re/default.mspx

#4 PapaSmurf88

PapaSmurf88

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2005 - 02:22 PM

Is/are the preinstalled norton and macaffee security systems enough, or should I go ahead and install ad-aware & spybot? Not sure why I distrust the aforementioned to actually protect, but I don't.

My opinion go to Start==>Control Panel==>Add/Remove Programs and uninstall anything by symantic and McAfee

Why you ask? Well im a Computer Service Tech and it has been in my experiece that McAfee and Norton are about THE WORST anti-virus programs out there. Why do I know this.

About 2 weeks ago I got a computer in from my friends dad (old, single, hasnt gotten laid in God knows how long) he had both Norton and McAfee on there and his computer was running, no crawling slow.

I went and installed my favortie Anti Virus software Anti-Vir which can be found at the following link.

http://www.download.com/AntiVir-Personal-E...tml?tag=lst-0-1

After running norton and McAfee (to prove to my friend that it was so much better than Norton or McAfee they both only found 2 Viruses each and said the computer was safe, but for some reason the computer was still crawling slow.

After that I ran Anti-Vir and found 2200 Viruses. I know this doesnt sound believable and I wish I had takeing a screen shot of the report to post right now but I didnt.

In my opinion I would rather have a Anti Virus program that will actually remove all the viruses.

If your woried about Spyware your best bet to prevent it is to run Mozilla Fire Fox found at the following link

http://www.download.com/Mozilla-Firefox/30...tag=lst-0-1

But I would still download and intsall Ad-Aware and SpyBot because while this will stop most spyware it wont stop everything.

Hope this helped you. I would answer more of your questions but Rimmer did a good job of answering thoughs.

PapaSmurf
My Specs:

Albatron PX915P4C Pro
Intel P4 3.0 Ghz Processor w/ HT technology
2x 512MB PC3200 Memory
120 GB Western Digital IDE HD
SAPPHIRE X550 256Mb Video Card

#5 tooter801

tooter801
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 03:00 PM

Thanks, everyone!

You're right, replacing the preinstalled version didnt' help him get the results he wanted. So, does that mean we should take the Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 out and replace it with a brand new graphics card?

I'm more than happy to uninstall Norton & Macaffee...the latter only worked in the past for me when I paid for the online service. The thing is, will this removal affect the warranty I bought?

#6 PapaSmurf88

PapaSmurf88

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 03:54 PM

The removal of the norton or McAfee shouldnt affect anything but if you reinstall your own O/S then it will void your warenty. At least I know it will with compaqs. I went and reinstalled my own copy of XP home and they would help me out over the phone because I didnt have there spyware infested O/S on the Computer.
My Specs:

Albatron PX915P4C Pro
Intel P4 3.0 Ghz Processor w/ HT technology
2x 512MB PC3200 Memory
120 GB Western Digital IDE HD
SAPPHIRE X550 256Mb Video Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users