Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer not Present at Startup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mappum

Mappum

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:09 PM

Whenever I start my computer, Windows Explorer is not started. Just a black screen, other than My Documents being opened. To start it, I have to use that open My Documents to go to the Windows directory and open explorer.exe. How can I get it back in startup and what caused this? I have not messed with my startup files or registry or windows or anything like that...
Thanks in advance, mappum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hellojoey

hellojoey

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:22 PM

after doing some researching on this topic it seams to me that is is common but not very fixable

i would suggest running ccleaner ( http://www.ccleaner.com/ )(free) and malwarebytes anti-malware ( http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-...&tag=button ) (use the free version, works very well)

these two programs should clean up just about all of your computer files, and hopefully it could help your problem (if its a malware problem)

-joey

UPDATE:
i found this on another forum:

MOD EDIT: Backup your registry before attempting any modifications. Even minor mistakes can make your system unbootable.

"open registry (menu Start -> run (or run Comand prompt): regedit).

open: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ Current Version \ Winlogon

At right pane there is "Shell". The value of it must be "explorer.exe" (and nothing more - in my case there was activedebugger.exe too, when I removed it explorer start appear on startup)."

----

i would try scanning first and then try that

good luck :huh:

Edited by usasma, 06 January 2009 - 09:20 AM.
activated links; added MOD EDIT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users