Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trend Micro download problem.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jimnor46

jimnor46

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:20 PM

First time post, so I hope I get this right. I bought a new computer, had Trend Micro Security installed, 30 day free trial. After the 30 day trial I renewed the subscription online. Today, two days after renewal I got pop-up from Trend saying my computer protection had expired. I contacted TM support (that was a joke). Woman had me uninstall version of TM security I had and install new version. Went thru the whole uninstall/install bit. Now, I have Winidows Vista OS. Had sidebar with several "gadgets" showing. Now, sidebar wont work, tried control panel, still doesn't work. TM support said it was a Microsoft problem. Couldn't log into my bank acct. either, finally got that corrected. Navigating between sites on the web is considerably slower than before. Now I also have a MS security alert (red shield with white X) in the taskbar. I would really like to have the sidebar back and find out why I now have a security alert. I have done the TM security scan and it shows nothing. Any help would be tremendously appreciated. Keep in mine that I am VERY computer illiterate.
Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:42 PM

Hello jimnor46.

Let's see what we can do.

Disable Realtime Protection
Antimalware programs can interfere with the tools we need to run. Please temporarily disable all realtime protections you have enabled. Refer to this page, if you are unsure how.

Download and run MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
If you already have MBAM installed, simply update and run a quick scan.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware setup and to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2

Refer to the steps given here on installing MalwareBytes, running the scan, and saving the log file (not on using File Assasin).
  • If you have trouble updating, try the other mirror download site.
  • Should the computer in question not be able update using the normal method download the update file from here, using another machine if needed. Simple double click the file to install the updates.
  • If MalwareBytes asks to reboot to remove certain items, do so right away.
Please include the scan logfile in your next reply.

With Regards,
The Panda

#3 jimnor46

jimnor46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:11 PM

I have Trend Micro Virus Protect., didn't see that on the list of "how to disable." Also have MS Defender. How do I disable? You're dealing with a real novice here, so speak slowly.

#4 jimnor46

jimnor46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:53 AM

I ran the scan. How do I show the logfile?? Sorry I don't know how to do this but as I said in my original post, I'm not computer literate at all.
Thanks

Edited by jimnor46, 06 January 2009 - 07:55 AM.

#5 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:31 PM

Hello.

No problem :thumbsup: . Please do ask if you are unsure.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

With Regards,
The Panda

Edited by PropagandaPanda, 06 January 2009 - 03:32 PM.

#6 jimnor46

jimnor46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:13 PM

Okay, here goes. Don't know if this is right but this is what I got....

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.32
Database version: 1624
Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1

1/6/2009 3:05:14 PM
mbam-log-2009-01-06 (15-05-14).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 40196
Time elapsed: 1 minute(s), 7 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoActiveDesktopChanges (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#7 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:17 PM

Hello.

Please click on the MS Security alert. Tell us what it says.

With Regards,
The Panda

#8 jimnor46

jimnor46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:01 PM

All it says is that Malware protection is turned off, and that Windows Defender and Trend Micro virus protection is turned off. It also says firewall turned on, automatic updates turned on, other security turned on. That's all it says. I turned Win. Def. and Trend Micro off to run the mbam prog.

One additional thing, the Windows sidebar that wasn't being displayed before, well now it's back up.

I have a question. What is your opinion of the Micro Trend virus program? If there is something better I would be interested in knowing what it is. I wasn't impressed with the tech support from TM when I was trying to resolve my problem.
I have seen a list of different kinds of protection (somewhere on here) that I would be interested in using if they are better than what I've got.
I would just as soon use the programs on here, if they are as good or better than TM, request a refund from TM and donate it to this site. At least I got a reasonable response and support here, more than I can say for TM.

Thank You...

Edited by jimnor46, 07 January 2009 - 12:12 PM.

#9 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:00 PM

Hello jimnor.

All it says is that Malware protection is turned off, and that Windows Defender and Trend Micro virus protection is turned off. It also says firewall turned on, automatic updates turned on, other security turned on. That's all it says. I turned Win. Def. and Trend Micro off to run the mbam prog.

Doesn't look to be an issue then. Please re-enable the protection now.

What is your opinion of the Micro Trend virus program? If there is something better I would be interested in knowing what it is.

I honestly don't see that many computers with Trend Micro installed. That could be because it is a good AV, so the users don't get infected, or just that it is not as popular.

If you are looking for a free AV, I would go with Avast! or AVG.

Kaspersky and NOD32 are among the top paid programs at the moment.

A lot of it is up to preference of the features. You may want to give each a try. The paid versions usually have a free trial.

With Regards,
The Panda

#10 jimnor46

jimnor46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:44 AM

You don't think there's a problem with my comp.?

If not, I really appreciate your time and efforts. I was concerned that after I downloaded the new version of TM that my computer started acting weird, no side bar, couldn't log onto my bank acct. slow response time, etc.

I'll continue to use TM as my AV until expiration then I'll switch, I wasn't happy with their tech support or their not updating my subscription.

Once again, thanks for your time and efforts. I have already recommended this site to several family members. From what I've seen on this site from the members, you have earned my highest respect. Rest assured I'll be back if I have any more (perceived or not) problems.

Regards
jimnor46

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users