Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My ME computer is very slow

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 richie78

richie78

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:38 PM

For some time now, I've been having problems with my ME operating system computer. The main problem is that it has become really slow, and frequently stops running. I have started to receive pop-up messages that I've never seen before about my system resources being dangerously low. When I go to the determine my system resources with the System Resources meter, they read

System resources 39%
User Resources 39%
and GDI resources 47%

I've never seen them this low.

I am running a anti virus program "AVG", and think that this might be part of the cause contributing to the low resources state.

I don't understand how these resources are used and allocated. Are they RAM resources that can be increased by adding more RAM?

How do I improve the use of resources by my computer so that it will run much faster?

Will I be able to reestablish the original speed of this ME operating system that I originally had just a few short years ago?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:23 AM

I am running a anti virus program "AVG", and think that this might be part of the cause contributing to the low resources state.

It could be. You should consider temporarily disabling it. If it proves to be the system hog you may consider switching over to another, less resource-used antivirus software.

Will I be able to reestablish the original speed of this ME operating system that I originally had just a few short years ago?

While you may be able to get a faster speed than you do currently, you probably will not be able to regain full speed of the OS as it was when you first installed it. OSs always tend to slow down as usage goes on due to more file build up, etc. It is important to run frequent file-cleaning + disk defragmenting, etc to keep your system running as smooth as possible.

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:34 AM

For some time now, I've been having problems with my ME operating system computer. The main problem is that it has become really slow, and frequently stops running.

AVG doesn't use a lot of resources as some virus checkers do so its something else running in the background. When your computer starts up and you can see your desktop only. Do a CTRL+ALT+DEL and write down and post all the files listed that are running in Task Manager. Do you have any icons showing in the systray? (by the clock). If AVG is running then you will see the multicoloured square icon. I use AVG but I don't have it running all the time.

Have a read here Richie and try my memory Checker app.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic183963-15.html

Sorry for the multiple post my browser didn't respond when I clicked post so I clicked it again and again.

Admin please delete the other duplicates.

Edited by Keithuk, 07 January 2009 - 07:36 AM.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#4 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:29 PM

The resources in Win9x/ME are indeed related to RAM. The more RAM, the better. Virtual memory can also be an issue. Disabling unnecessary startups can help yes, but it is indeed best to do it from within each program's options. You can however test the results with MSconfig first. While msconfig is not perfect, and shouldn't be used as a permanent solution, it is there for testing purposes.

When I was using ME, resources went down with time. Doing cleanup of temp files/unneeded programs/defrag/scandisk is also important. And when all else fails, restarting gets you fresh for a while. ME has issues with resource retainment, so not all resources are returned when programs close, which is why rebooting (restarting) the computer becomes necessary.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 tech_tiger

tech_tiger

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:24 AM

Hi,

There are various reasons that contribute to slow performance.. It may happen that when you download some software, it was associated with some software or there are unwanted entries in your registry causing the system to slow..

To get rid of these problems, update antivirus and run a complete scan of the hard drive.. In addition, you have to remove the programs that are not being utilized by you.

Good Luck!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users